Very low voltage drop transistor

In summary: I think you may be misunderstanding what Cliff is trying to say. Cliff is suggesting that rather than using a FET as a short circuit to blow a fuse, he would rather use a semiconductor in series to open on overload. This is similar in operation to some "intelligent circuit breakers" based on a Intra Technologies' MOSFET switch.
Cliff_J
Science Advisor
I'd like to construct a fast-reacting current overload protection device. And rather than use a FET as a short to blow a fuse I'd rather just use a semiconductor in series that I can open on overload. This is similar in operation to some "intelligent circuit breakers" based on a Intra Technologies' MOSFET switch.

Anyone know of any common (cheap) off-the-shelf FETs that with really low voltage drops? Thanks in advance.

Cliff

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you mean FETs with really low on resistance. You should be able to do parametric searches at both the manufacturers' websites and on distributor websites.

- Warren

...like analog.com and digikey.com

Cliff_J said:
I'd like to construct a fast-reacting current overload protection device. And rather than use a FET as a short to blow a fuse I'd rather just use a semiconductor in series that I can open on overload. This is similar in operation to some "intelligent circuit breakers" based on a Intra Technologies' MOSFET switch.

Anyone know of any common (cheap) off-the-shelf FETs that with really low voltage drops? Thanks in advance.

Cliff

I'm not sure that this is the right way to solve the problem. If I were you, I'd go to the library and get a book on ESD protection in ICs. As a matter of fact, when I worked as an IC design engineer, we had a circuit like this in our intellectual properties library. Essentially, there was a resistor across the gate and drain of an n-type MOSFET. When a sudden current surge rushed across this resistor, the channel activated... in other words the drain was shorted to the source and most of the current went straight to ground without damaging the circuit.

Individually-packaged, ordinary MOSFETs are almost impossible to come by... although I think you individually access the FETs of 500 series inverter. Most individually-packaged FETs are either power devices or RF devices. If you want circuit protection, then you're looking at power devices. If you want to reduce the channel (or source-to-drain) resistance, then I would just suggest tying several FETs in parallel.

QuantumCowboy

1. What is a very low voltage drop transistor?

A very low voltage drop transistor is a type of transistor that has a significantly lower voltage drop across its terminals compared to other transistors. This means that it requires less voltage to turn on and allows for more efficient power usage.

2. How does a very low voltage drop transistor work?

A very low voltage drop transistor works by using a thin layer of doped semiconductor material, such as silicon, to control the flow of electrons between two terminals. This allows for a smaller voltage drop and greater efficiency in electronic circuits.

3. What are the advantages of using a very low voltage drop transistor?

The main advantage of using a very low voltage drop transistor is that it requires less voltage to operate, which leads to lower power consumption and greater efficiency in electronic devices. It also allows for smaller and more compact circuit designs.

4. In what applications are very low voltage drop transistors commonly used?

Very low voltage drop transistors are commonly used in a variety of applications, including power management, battery-operated devices, and low-power electronics. They are also used in high-speed switching circuits and in applications where energy efficiency is crucial.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a very low voltage drop transistor?

One potential disadvantage of using a very low voltage drop transistor is that it may have a lower current-carrying capacity compared to other transistors. This means that it may not be suitable for high-power applications. Additionally, very low voltage drop transistors may be more expensive compared to other types of transistors.