Expansion Work in Combustion Reactions: Liquid Water vs. Water Vapor

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about thermodynamics, specifically regarding expansion work in a combustion reaction. The question is whether the production of liquid water or water vapor results in higher expansion work. The person asking the question has calculated the enthalpy of combustion using a generic method and found that the reaction producing liquid water has higher PV work. However, they are unsure if this calculation is correct given that water vapor has a higher enthalpy of formation. They ask for input on their reasoning.
ester10
Expansion Work -- Still confused.

This is more of a general question regarding thermodynamics. If you have a combustion reaction, and it produces either liquid water or water vapor--which case results in higher expansion work? My enthalpy calculations show higher PV work for the reaction with liquid water as the product, but intuitively, I feel like the reaction producing water vapor would do more work because a greater amount of gas is produced.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I should specify. The way I calculated the enthalpy of combustion was by subtracting the enthalpies of formation for the reactants from those of the products--a generic way to get the enthalpy change for any reaction. However, since water (gas) has a higher Hf, the overall H of the combustion is also higher (less negative value). This suggests that the combustion of a compound to CO2 and H2O (g) actually releases less energy (i.e., less work can be done).

Please give me your input... Am I not justifying this correctly?

I can provide some insight into this question. The concept of expansion work in thermodynamics refers to the work done by a system as it expands against a constant external pressure. In the case of a combustion reaction, the expansion work is determined by the volume change of the products compared to the reactants.

In general, the reaction that produces more gas as a product will result in higher expansion work. This is because the gas molecules have more freedom to move and exert pressure on the surroundings as compared to liquid molecules. Therefore, in your example, the reaction producing water vapor would indeed result in higher expansion work compared to the one producing liquid water.

However, it is important to note that expansion work is just one aspect of the overall energy balance in a combustion reaction. Other factors such as the heat released, temperature change, and enthalpy change also play a role in determining the overall energy outcome of the reaction. So while the reaction producing water vapor may have higher expansion work, it may also have other factors that contribute to a lower overall energy release.

In conclusion, the reaction producing water vapor would result in higher expansion work due to the increased volume of gas produced. But it is important to consider all aspects of the energy balance in a combustion reaction to fully understand its thermodynamics.

1. What is expansion work in combustion reactions?

Expansion work in combustion reactions refers to the work done by a gas as it expands during a reaction. This work is a result of the pressure-volume work done by the gas, which is a type of thermodynamic work that involves changes in pressure and volume.

2. How does liquid water differ from water vapor in terms of expansion work in combustion reactions?

Liquid water and water vapor have different properties when it comes to expansion work in combustion reactions. Liquid water is relatively incompressible, meaning it does not easily change in volume when pressure is applied. Water vapor, on the other hand, is highly compressible and will expand significantly when heated.

3. Why is expansion work important in combustion reactions?

Expansion work is important in combustion reactions because it is a key factor in determining the efficiency of the reaction. It also plays a role in the amount of energy released during the reaction, as well as the overall performance of the system.

4. How does temperature affect expansion work in combustion reactions?

Temperature has a significant impact on expansion work in combustion reactions. As the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases, resulting in a greater amount of expansion work. This is why increasing the temperature of a system can often lead to a more efficient combustion reaction.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding expansion work in combustion reactions?

Understanding expansion work in combustion reactions has practical applications in various fields, such as in the design of engines and turbines. It can also help improve the efficiency of power plants and other energy production systems. Additionally, knowledge of expansion work can aid in the development of more efficient and environmentally-friendly fuel sources.