Sleeping in the Tub: Is it Safe?

• Thread starter maverick_starstrider
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the preference for baths over showers and the potential risks of sleeping in a bathtub due to neck contortion and potential oxygen deprivation. Some individuals share their experiences with bathtubs, including a friend who has a large tub with basketball hoops and another who slept in a bathtub once. The conversation also touches on the idea of water conservation and the potential for baths to make one cleaner.
maverick_starstrider
When I actually had a bath tub (*tear*) I used to love sitting in it (with water obviously) and reading until I dosed off. But then I noticed that I always got tired in the bath and I put two and two together and realized that it was the way my neck was being contorted when sitting back was kinda like a very mild sleeper hold. So the question is was I getting sleepy because my brain was being deprived of oxygen and was I potentially leaving myself open to brain damage?

P.S. I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. If a mod could move it to general discussion that'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick_starstrider said:
When I actually had a bath tub (*tear*) I used to love sitting in it (with water obviously) and reading until I dosed off. But then I noticed that I always got tired in the bath and I put two and two together and realized that it was the way my neck was being contorted when sitting back was kinda like a very mild sleeper hold. So the question is was I getting sleepy because my brain was being deprived of oxygen and was I potentially leaving myself open to brain damage?
Yep, the bathtub manufacturers are in bed with those doggone Republicans who hate everyone except the rich, so they made your bathtub so it would try to kill you.:eek:

Al68 said:
Yep, the bathtub manufacturers are in bed with those doggone Republicans who hate everyone except the rich, so they made your bathtub so it would try to kill you.:eek:

Hey, was that movie on msLSD last evening?

I'm still trying to get past the idea of a male preferring a bath over a shower.

Just didn't know such a thing existed.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm still trying to get past the idea of a male preferring a bath over a shower.

I have a friend that played offensive tackle in the NFL. He's about 6'7" and weighs about 325 pounds. His bathtub is about 8' long, 3' wide and 3' deep. He played basketball in college and loves the game. Accordingly, he has basketball hoops mounted at both ends of the tub (the faucet is near the center). He routinely shoots hoops until the water becomes too cold.

He also has about 500 rolled towels stored on special shelves, but that is another topic.

DaveC426913 said:

I haven't had a bath for at least 20-25 years.

Showered a few times in that period, though.

WhoWee said:
I have a friend that played offensive tackle in the NFL. He's about 6'7" and weighs about 325 pounds. His bathtub is about 8' long, 3' wide and 3' deep. He played basketball in college and loves the game. Accordingly, he has basketball hoops mounted at both ends of the tub (the faucet is near the center). He routinely shoots hoops until the water becomes too cold.

All very interesting but what does it have to do with the question of bathing versus showering? (You said everything but) :rolleyes:

DaveC426913 said:
All very interesting but what does it have to do with the question of bathing versus showering? (You said everything but) :rolleyes:

The "big guy" loves his tubbies.:biggrin:

I haven't chosen to take a bath over a shower in at least 25 years.

When I lived (briefly) in Greece, the bathroom was equipped with a 3.5' to 4' long tub and a shower nozzle with about a 30" hose. You could sit in the tub and use the shower head - it was all bad.

I think that as a matter of water conservation it is a citizens public duty to take brief showers over bathing and wasting a whole tub full of water. :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:

I find baths relaxing. Plus, kinda hard to read in the shower.

Just a few things come to mind, that I find sexier then a man in bath tub. I was trying to think of them, but the man image, in the tub, has got me blind sighted.:!)

I actually slept in a bathtub once because there was not enough beds in a hotel room. It was some student math or chemistry tournament that a group of use were competing in. I used plenty of padding. It was a bit uncomfortable on the knees and hips.

I also once stayed in hotel room that had a bathtub big enough for 4 people! I can only imagine the parties some folks would have in that tub.

I think the last time I took a bath my mom was giving it to me... Probably about 13 years ago. Wow :|.

I always though sleeping while taking a bath was dangerous regardless.

maverick_starstrider said:

P.S. I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. If a mod could move it to general discussion that'd be great.

Nevermind all these guys who don't know how to properly relax, maverick. Baths are wonderful and especially after a hard workout or hike, really a great way to relax your muscles.

I would even bet that baths make you cleaner...a nice long soak in hot water followed by a good soapy scrub down (especially if you can rinse with clean water as you get out).

If you're concerned about cutting off O2 to your brain, perhaps you can get one of these.

2wd4p6a.jpg

You're not cutting off oxygen to the brain. It's just the warmth of the tub making you sleepy. That's half the point of a bath, to relax. I don't take baths to get clean, I take them when I want to ease sore muscles. It's great for that. I miss the whirlpool tub I had in my townhouse. Need to figure out if my current bathroom will fit one (it's rather long and narrow).

During the week I don't have time to take a bath properly. But usually once during the weekend, I draw a tub full of very warm water (about 110 F), pick out a few magazines, and soak for about an hour, reading. Aaaah. :!) Then I wash up and shower off.

Sorry! said:
I think the last time I took a bath my mom was giving it to me... Probably about 13 years ago. Wow :|.
Oh man I hope you're young...

DaveC426913 said:
Oh man I hope you're young...

Hahahahaha yeah I'm only 20. My mom didn't regularly shower me baths at that age though. I was doing it on my own by then. Just that this one time I was playing with a chemistry set I had got for my birthday and some REALLY fine powdery chemical i breathed in and it made a really thick paste in my nose and my mouth. So she had given me a bath hmph :) Not that anyone wanted to know about that story :P

1. Is it safe to fall asleep in the bathtub?

Falling asleep in the bathtub can be dangerous as you run the risk of slipping underwater and drowning. It is not recommended to fall asleep in the bathtub for extended periods of time.

2. Can sleeping in the tub cause health problems?

Sleeping in the bathtub can potentially lead to health problems such as muscle cramps, hypothermia, and skin irritation. It is important to avoid sleeping in the tub for prolonged periods to prevent these issues.

3. How long is it safe to sleep in the bathtub?

The amount of time it is safe to sleep in the bathtub varies depending on factors such as water temperature and individual health. However, it is generally recommended to avoid sleeping in the tub for more than 15-20 minutes.

4. What are the precautions to take when sleeping in the tub?

If you do choose to sleep in the tub, it is important to take precautions to ensure your safety. These include setting a timer, using a bath mat to prevent slipping, and keeping your head above water at all times.

5. Is it safe to sleep in the tub with a baby?

No, it is not safe to sleep in the tub with a baby. Babies can easily slip underwater and drown in a bathtub, so it is important to always supervise them and never fall asleep while bathing with a baby.