Computer controlled machine/robot?

• Thread starter silentwf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation is about a sophomore in ME who wants to start learning about robotics and control early. They ask for book or website recommendations and mention "Society of Robots" which they found through their own search. They also express interest in using computers to control machines and ask for guidance on where to start. The conversation ends with the person mentioning the possibility of making their own robot or machine with microcontrollers and sensors, but the lego option is too expensive for them.
silentwf
I'm just curious, I'm a sophomore in ME so I haven't gotten a chance to touch robotics/control yet (these classes are set in junior year and above), but I would like to start early. Are there any books/websites I should read if I'm into this field? I've done some search and came up with "Society of Robots" although I don't know how professional it is. I'm also interested in the possibility of using computers to control these machines (like pressing a button or sending a command from the computer, and making the robot move). Where should I start?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm, interesting. But its way over budget to get a set for myself lol!
I was thinking of making a robot/machine thingy by buying my own microcontrollers and sensors and stuff.
The lego thing is interesting, but again, over budget for me.

1. What is a computer controlled machine/robot?

A computer controlled machine/robot is a type of machine or device that is operated and controlled by a computer system. It can perform a variety of tasks and functions using programmed instructions and automated processes.

2. How does a computer controlled machine/robot work?

A computer controlled machine/robot works by receiving instructions from a computer program or controller, which directs its movements and actions. These instructions can be pre-programmed or given in real-time through sensors and other input devices.

3. What types of tasks can a computer controlled machine/robot perform?

A computer controlled machine/robot can perform a wide range of tasks, from simple repetitive actions to complex and precise operations. Some examples include assembly, welding, painting, packaging, and even surgery.

4. What are the advantages of using a computer controlled machine/robot?

There are many advantages to using a computer controlled machine/robot, including increased speed, accuracy, and efficiency in performing tasks. They can also reduce the risk of human error and injury, and can work continuously without breaks.

5. Are there any limitations or risks associated with computer controlled machines/robots?

While computer controlled machines/robots offer many benefits, there are also some limitations and risks to consider. They may require significant initial investment and maintenance costs, and can also lead to job displacement in some industries. There is also the potential for malfunctions or errors, which could have serious consequences depending on the task being performed.