Finding magnitude of gravitational force?

In summary, we are given the masses and coordinates of three spheres: 16 kg, x = 0.75 m, y = 3.00 m; 34 kg, x = -2.50 m, y = -2.75 m; 60 kg, x = 0.00 m, y= -0.75 m. We need to find the magnitude of the gravitational force on a 30 kg sphere located at the origin due to the other spheres. To do this, we can use the equation F=(GMm)/r^2 where 'r' is the distance between the centers of the spheres. We also need to use the equation a^2+b^2=c^2 to find
gadawg90
The masses and coordinates of three spheres are as follows: 16 kg, x = 0.75 m, y = 3.00 m; 34 kg, x = -2.50 m, y = -2.75 m; 60 kg, x = 0.00 m, y= -0.75 m. What is the magnitude of the gravitational force on a 30 kg sphere located at the origin due to the other spheres?

Homework Equations

i know to use this equation:F=(GMm)/r^2

i know you have to do a^2+b^2=c^2 to find the radius of each sphere but i just don't know what to do after that...

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'r' in the equation is the distance between the (centres) of the sphere it's not their radius

(we use 'r' in the law because it's usually the radius of an orbit 0

alright well if i find r then what do i do next?

Find 'F' for each object, then the overall direction/magnitude of F ( a diagram might help)

im still confused. when i find the distance what do i use as the second mass in the equation. and when i find F for all three spheres how do i find the gravitational force for the sphere at the origin?

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of gravitational force?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the magnitude of gravitational force, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

2. How does the distance between two objects affect the magnitude of gravitational force?

The magnitude of gravitational force is directly proportional to the mass of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the magnitude of gravitational force decreases.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of gravitational force?

The unit of measurement for the magnitude of gravitational force is Newtons (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton who first described the law of universal gravitation.

4. Can the magnitude of gravitational force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of gravitational force can be negative. This occurs when the two masses have opposite signs, meaning one is positive and the other is negative. This negative force indicates an attractive force between the two objects.

5. Does the magnitude of gravitational force change if the mass of one of the objects is doubled?

Yes, the magnitude of gravitational force will also double if the mass of one of the objects is doubled. This is because the force is directly proportional to the mass of the two objects.