The influence of crossing angle on amplitude in cable to cable coupling

In summary: Additionally, this website has an article on the subject:Near End Crosstalk (NEXT) and Far End Crosstalk (FEXT):http://www.answers.com/topic/unger-model
jadedchi08

Homework Statement

Hi all,
I have this project i have to write but i am having trouble getting the necessary materials to aid my writing. The project topic is the influence of crossing angle on amplitude in cable to cable coupling. It is a magnetic coupling problem and i am supposed to design a workbench to demonstrate it.

2. Homework Equations
I need to interpret data from the experiment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to analyze it in this manner: An experimental set up to demonstrates the influence of magnetic field coupling from an power cable to a nearby signal cable.The experimental set would demonstrate the impact of parallel cable layout as well as when the cables cross.
What happens when a power/signal cable is placed in close proximity to the cable not carrying current or carrying a signal of a different frequency?
Please find attached pictures of a workbench with the cables placed in parallel.
Thanks, i would appreciate any help.

Attachments

• EMC Awareness1a 26.pdf
    121.5 KB · Views: 271
  • EMC Awareness1a 27.pdf
    135.7 KB · Views: 269
Physics news on Phys.org
jadedchi08 said:

Homework Statement

Hi all,
I have this project i have to write but i am having trouble getting the necessary materials to aid my writing. The project topic is the influence of crossing angle on amplitude in cable to cable coupling. It is a magnetic coupling problem and i am supposed to design a workbench to demonstrate it.

2. Homework Equations
I need to interpret data from the experiment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to analyze it in this manner: An experimental set up to demonstrates the influence of magnetic field coupling from an power cable to a nearby signal cable.The experimental set would demonstrate the impact of parallel cable layout as well as when the cables cross.
What happens when a power/signal cable is placed in close proximity to the cable not carrying current or carrying a signal of a different frequency?
Please find attached pictures of a workbench with the cables placed in parallel.
Thanks, i would appreciate any help.

Welcome to the PF. Your pictures show coaxial cables -- are you trying to model crosstalk between coaxial cables? That coupling should be quite low, and is generally not an issue that I am aware of.

You mention a power cable and a signal cable in the text of your post -- that is quite different from the pictures. What are the constructions of the power and data cables?

I was able to model something. I used two coaxial cables, one of the cables i connected to a signal generator, the other i connected to an oscilloscope, and crossed both cables. The cable connected to the scope i moved, varying the angles between both cables.
I saw some induced voltage but the voltage did vary even after varying the angles between both cables. The whole idea of the project is to get the readings of the induced voltage at different angles between both cables. I don't know if i should blame it on the scope because it is quite old.
I would really appreciate any help i can get and any articles/journals/papers highlighting induced voltage and how to calculate it.
Thanks.

jadedchi08 said:
I was able to model something. I used two coaxial cables, one of the cables i connected to a signal generator, the other i connected to an oscilloscope, and crossed both cables. The cable connected to the scope i moved, varying the angles between both cables.
I saw some induced voltage but the voltage did vary even after varying the angles between both cables. The whole idea of the project is to get the readings of the induced voltage at different angles between both cables. I don't know if i should blame it on the scope because it is quite old.
I would really appreciate any help i can get and any articles/journals/papers highlighting induced voltage and how to calculate it.
Thanks.

Are you terminating the coax cables in their characteristic impedances? Honestly, cross-talk between coax cables that are handled properly (even when run together) will be minute.

The search terms you should use are Near End Crosstalk (NEXT) and Far End Crosstalk (FEXT):

http://www.answers.com/topic/unger-model

You can find some experimental help by using those search terms.

I would suggest starting by researching the basics of magnetic field coupling and its effects on nearby cables. This will help you understand the underlying principles and mechanisms at play in your project. Additionally, you may want to consider reaching out to experts in the field or conducting a literature review to gather more information and data on the topic.

In terms of designing a workbench, I would recommend carefully controlling and measuring the distance between the two cables, as well as varying the crossing angle to observe its impact on amplitude. It may also be helpful to use different types of cables and varying frequencies to see how they affect the coupling.

To interpret the data from your experiment, you may want to plot graphs of amplitude vs. crossing angle and amplitude vs. distance between cables. This will allow you to visually see the relationship between these variables and draw conclusions from the data.

Finally, don't hesitate to ask for help or guidance from your instructor or colleagues. Collaborating and discussing ideas can often lead to new insights and solutions. Good luck with your project!

1. What is meant by "crossing angle" in cable to cable coupling?

The crossing angle refers to the angle at which two cables intersect or cross each other. In cable to cable coupling, this angle can affect the amplitude of the signal being transmitted between the two cables.

2. How does the crossing angle influence the amplitude in cable to cable coupling?

The crossing angle can cause interference between the two cables, leading to changes in the amplitude of the signal being transmitted. This interference can either amplify or attenuate the signal, depending on the angle and the properties of the cables.

3. Is there a specific crossing angle that is ideal for minimizing amplitude changes in cable to cable coupling?

There is no one specific crossing angle that is ideal for all situations. The optimal angle may vary depending on factors such as the type and length of the cables, the frequency of the signal, and the surrounding environment. It is important to conduct experiments and simulations to determine the best crossing angle for a specific coupling setup.

4. Are there any techniques for mitigating the influence of crossing angle on amplitude in cable to cable coupling?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to minimize the effects of crossing angle on amplitude in cable to cable coupling. These can include using shielding or isolators to reduce interference, adjusting the distance between the cables, or changing the orientation of the cables.

5. Are there any other factors besides crossing angle that can affect amplitude in cable to cable coupling?

Yes, there are several other factors that can influence amplitude in cable to cable coupling. These can include cable properties such as impedance and capacitance, as well as external factors like temperature and electromagnetic interference. It is important to consider all of these factors when studying the influence of crossing angle on amplitude in cable to cable coupling.