Velocity distribution of atoms releasing from a surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of atomic velocity after they are released from a surface. The initial velocity is assumed to be Maxwell-Boltzmann and the surface is treated as requiring a definite energy to escape, similar to electron emission. The distribution in the parallel direction is not affected, while the perpendicular direction loses energy from the surface. It is believed that the atomic velocities should follow the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution in all directions after being released, but the question of how to reconcile this remains.
Jora0
I have a surface (paraffin) and a vapor of atoms (alkali). When atom get the wall, it is sticked for some time, exchange it energy and momentum with wall and then release. I want to know the atomic velocity distribution (both in directions orthogonal and parallel to the surface) after atom releases.

I guess the velocity distribution in direction parallel to the surface should be Maxwellian. But what about the orthogonal direction? More common, will atoms go out preferably in direction orthogonal to the surface, or preferably along the surface, with small angles between their velocity vectors and surface?

If somebody know something about this topic (ideas, references et.c) --- could you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simplest model I can think of: treat the surface as requiring some definite energy to escape, i.e. a work function W, analogously with electron emission. Assume that the initial velocity whilst at the bottom of the well is Maxwell-Boltzmann. As you said, the parallel directions are not effected, i.e. we assume the potential is translationally symmetric along the surface. You must lose W energy, and this has to come from the perp. direction, i.e. mv^2 = mv_0^2 - W. Plug in the M-B distribution for v_0, and see what it looks like for v.

Yes, this is a good thing, and it was also in my head too.

By the way, if we have a closed volume with atoms inside, and the system is in thermal equilibrium, the atomic velocities inside should be distributed according Maxwell-Boltsmann distribution... therefore it looks like after releasing atoms should have the Maxwell-Boltsmann velocity distribution in any direction. The question is how to harmonize it?

1. What is the velocity distribution of atoms releasing from a surface?

The velocity distribution of atoms releasing from a surface refers to the range of velocities that atoms can have when they are emitted from a material surface. This distribution is affected by factors such as temperature, surface structure, and chemical composition.

2. How is the velocity distribution of atoms measured?

The velocity distribution of atoms can be measured using techniques such as laser-induced fluorescence, mass spectrometry, and time-of-flight spectroscopy. These methods allow for the detection and analysis of the different velocities of emitted atoms.

3. Why is the velocity distribution of atoms releasing from a surface important?

The velocity distribution of atoms is important because it provides insights into the physical and chemical processes occurring at the surface. It can also impact the properties of thin films and coatings, as well as the efficiency of processes such as chemical vapor deposition.

4. How does temperature affect the velocity distribution of atoms releasing from a surface?

As temperature increases, the average velocity of emitted atoms also increases. This is due to the increased thermal energy that allows atoms to overcome the surface's binding forces more easily. As a result, the velocity distribution shifts towards higher velocities at higher temperatures.

5. Can the velocity distribution of atoms releasing from a surface be controlled?

Yes, the velocity distribution of atoms can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the temperature, surface structure, and chemical composition of the emitting material. This can be useful in applications such as thin film deposition, where controlling the velocity distribution can improve film quality and properties.