Supplementary Reading for First GR Course: Schutz vs Hartle?

In summary, the speaker is looking for supplementary reading for their graduate level GR course and is considering Schutz or Hartle. The other person suggests starting with a book on special relativity, such as Spacetime Physics, and also recommends a free alternative by the speaker. They also mention the importance of getting a book on differential geometry.
quasar_4
I hope this is the right forum to post this...

I'm going through Wald's book in my first graduate level GR course, and am looking for lower level supplementary reading. I have a relatively strong math background, so Wald's language suits me well, but sometimes I feel like I need more elementary background in the physics (this is my first relativity course - I've never even taken special relativity before). I'm contemplating Schutz or Hartle. Which do you recommend as a supplement to Wald?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read Hartle (or Taylor and Wheeler), but Schutz has a good introduction to SR and a good introduction to tensors in the context of vector spaces. So it's a good choice. Getting a book on differential geometry would also be a good idea.

1. What is the main difference between Schutz's and Hartle's approach to first GR course readings?

Schutz's approach focuses on the philosophical and conceptual foundations of general relativity, while Hartle's approach emphasizes the mathematical formalism and applications of the theory.

2. Which author's approach is more beginner-friendly?

Hartle's approach is generally considered to be more beginner-friendly, as it provides a more step-by-step and hands-on approach to learning general relativity.

3. Can both Schutz and Hartle be used as supplementary readings for a first GR course?

Yes, both Schutz and Hartle can be used as supplementary readings for a first GR course. Depending on the instructor's teaching style and the students' learning preferences, one may be more suitable than the other.

4. Are there any overlapping topics between Schutz and Hartle's readings?

Yes, there are some overlapping topics between the two readings, such as the mathematical foundations of general relativity and the concept of spacetime curvature.

5. Which author's approach is more widely used in first GR courses?

Hartle's approach is more widely used in first GR courses, as it is often seen as a more practical and hands-on introduction to the theory.