Calculate Parameters of Shifted Exponential Density from Measurements

In summary, you can use Bayes' theorem and the given density function to calculate a posterior probability density function for the parameters L and t0, and then use the calculated expectations to estimate the unknown values from the sample vector X. This can be done numerically, since the integrals involved may be difficult to solve analytically.
hkBattousai
I have a density function:

f(t) = L * e-L(t-t0) * u(t-t0)

where u(t) is the unit step function.

And I have a column vector X, which is randomly chosen samples from f(t):

X = [x1 x2 ... xn]T

How can I estimate the unknown values t0 and L from this X vector?

Physics news on Phys.org

You can use Bayes' theorem to calculate a (posterior) probability density function f(L, t0 | X) for the parameters L and t0 given the vector of sample times X:

If we call
f(t | L, t0) = L * e-L(t-t0) * u(t-t0)

and
f(X | L, t0) = f(x1 | L, t0)*f(x2 | L, t0)*...*f(xn | L, t0)

We can calculate the posterior PDF

f(L, t0 | X) = f(X | L, t0) / K

where K is a nornlization constant
[tex]K = \int_{L=0}^{\infty} \int_{t_0=0}^{\infty} f(X | L, t0) dt_0 dL[/tex]

(above I have assumed a homogeneous prior distributions for L and t0)

You can then e..g. calculate expectations of L and t0 from f(L, t0 | X)

[tex]\hat{L} = \int_{L=0}^{\infty} \int_{t_0=0}^{\infty} L* f(L, t0 | X) dt_0 dL[/tex]
[tex]\hat{t_0} = \int_{L=0}^{\infty} \int_{t_0=0}^{\infty} t_0* f(L, t0 | X) dt_0 dL[/tex]

The integrals are probably difficult to solve analytically, but you can solve them numarically given your X-vector.

1. What is a shifted exponential density distribution?

A shifted exponential density distribution is a type of probability distribution that is commonly used to model the time between events in a process. It is similar to the traditional exponential distribution, but with an added parameter that allows for shifting the distribution away from the origin.

2. How do you calculate the parameters of a shifted exponential density distribution from measurements?

To calculate the parameters of a shifted exponential density distribution, you will need to have at least two measurements of the time between events. From there, you can use a mathematical formula to estimate the parameters, including the shift parameter and the rate parameter.

3. What is the significance of the shift parameter in a shifted exponential density distribution?

The shift parameter in a shifted exponential density distribution allows for the distribution to be shifted away from the origin. This is useful in situations where the events being measured do not start at zero, and therefore a traditional exponential distribution would not accurately model the data.

4. Can the parameters of a shifted exponential density distribution change over time?

Yes, the parameters of a shifted exponential density distribution can change over time. This can happen if the underlying process being modeled changes or if new data is collected that suggests a different distribution would be a better fit.

5. How can I use the parameters of a shifted exponential density distribution in my research?

The parameters of a shifted exponential density distribution can be used to make predictions about future events in a process, such as the time between failures of a machine. They can also be used to compare different processes and identify any significant differences in their behavior.