Pressure as a function of time.

In summary: I don't see how they calculate the rate at which water gets in or out. Can you explain more?Water is flowing in at a rate of 3-t and flowing out at a rate of t^2. The initial water level is 2 ft.
wwshr87

Homework Statement

Find pressure as a function of time. At time t = 0, the water level is 2 feet.
Cross-sectional area is 8 ft2 for the top and 1 ft2 for the bottom.
Please see the attachment for further information.

Homework Equations

p=(ro)gh

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I want to find the pressure as a function of time; I will need to find h as a function of time, then multiply by ro and g. How can I do this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no attachment. I assume water is flowing out somewhere?

Water in flowing in at a rate of 3-t, and flowing out at a rate of t^2. Initial water level is 2 ft.

I'm sorry I am new to this. I tried attaching the file again. Thanks.

Attachments

• waterpressure.JPG
    waterpressure.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 440
Which pressure do you want to find? Pressure on the pipe, pressure of the water flow at the lower pipe, etc?

I want to find the pressure at the bottom of the tank.
Thanks

I'm not sure what you meant by "pressure at the bottom of the tank". Forget it for a while. Back to your main problem, finding h. From the two water flowing rates, you can calculate the net rate at which water gets in/out of the top pipe, can't you? And from the relation: [tex]\frac{dM_{net}}{dt}=\rho S_{top}\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex], it's easy to find dh/dt and h. What is the dimension of [tex]\dot {M}[/tex] by the way?

The main problem I want to talk about is the pressure. From your equation [tex]p=\rho gh[/tex], I can guess that you want to find the pressure exerting on the bottom, correct? It is not easy at all. If you look at it more carefully, the pressure on the bottom near the edge is different from the pressure at the places farther. The flow's speed is not homogeneous in the lower pipe. Moreover the pressure due to the water flowing in must be taken into account.

Last edited:
I have attached the solution I have for this problem. The part I do not understand is how they calculate dv/dh.

Attachments

• pressuresolution.JPG
    pressuresolution.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 540
Sorry, I don't get it either.

1. What is pressure as a function of time?

Pressure as a function of time refers to the relationship between the pressure exerted by a substance and the amount of time that has passed. This can be represented by a graph or formula that shows how the pressure changes over time.

2. What factors can affect pressure as a function of time?

There are several factors that can affect pressure as a function of time, including temperature, volume, and the properties of the substance itself. Changes in these factors can cause the pressure to increase or decrease over time.

3. How is pressure as a function of time measured?

Pressure as a function of time can be measured using instruments such as pressure gauges or sensors. These instruments can record the pressure at specific intervals, allowing for the creation of a graph or other visual representation of the pressure over time.

4. What is the significance of understanding pressure as a function of time?

Understanding pressure as a function of time is important in many scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It allows for the prediction and analysis of how a substance will behave under varying conditions, and can also be used to optimize processes and systems.

5. How can pressure as a function of time be manipulated or controlled?

Pressure as a function of time can be manipulated or controlled by adjusting the factors that affect it, such as temperature or volume. This can be done through various methods, such as changing the amount of a substance, altering the surrounding environment, or using specialized equipment.