Opposing forces but opposite travel = no work?

In summary, it is possible to stop both boxes from doing work, but only if the force is not conservative.
CountFleet
Hi, This is something I was wondering about. Can two objects with opposing forces travel in opposite directions without any work(minus friction)? I made a drawing in pdf format to demonstrate what I'm trying to say. My understanding of physics is pretty elementary so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Attachments

• diagram.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Work is equal to a force applied over a net distance (aka displacement) . Net distance is the difference between your starting and ending point. So if you push a box from point A to point B, and then push it back from point B to point A, no work will be done.

In your diagram, for part 1, it looks like the first box is being pushed to the right by a force pointed to the right, so positive work is being done on that box. The second box is being pushed to the left by a force pointed to the left, so the work being done on that box is also positive. It doesn't matter if the boxes are going in different directions, they are both being moved with positive work.

however, in your second part, it looks like you push the boxes back to their starting positions, so the overall work for the first and second part would be zero since the boxes don't have a change in displacement.

Trexman89 said:
Work is equal to a force applied over a net distance (aka displacement) . Net distance is the difference between your starting and ending point. So if you push a box from point A to point B, and then push it back from point B to point A, no work will be done.

This is incorrect. Work is a force applied over a distance, NOT a force applied over a net distance or displacement. If your force is conservative then the difference is moot, but in the case of friction where the force is not conservative then the difference is very important.

In your diagram both boxes are DOING work.

I was wondering if it was mechanically possible to stop both boxes from doing work?

1. What is the concept of "opposing forces but opposite travel = no work"?

The concept of "opposing forces but opposite travel = no work" is a fundamental principle in physics known as the Law of Conservation of Energy. This law states that when two equal and opposite forces act on an object, the object will experience a displacement, but no work will be done on the object.

2. How does this principle apply in real-life situations?

This principle can be seen in many real-life situations, such as when a person walks on a flat surface. The person's feet apply a force on the ground in one direction, while the ground applies an equal and opposite force on the person's feet in the opposite direction. This results in the person moving forward without any work being done on them.

3. Can this principle be violated or broken?

No, the Law of Conservation of Energy is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated or broken. It has been extensively tested and proven to hold true in all situations.

4. What are some other examples of this principle in action?

Other examples include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a car driving on a level road, or a satellite orbiting around the Earth. In all of these situations, opposing forces are present, but no work is being done on the object.

5. How does this principle relate to the concept of potential and kinetic energy?

The Law of Conservation of Energy is closely related to the concepts of potential and kinetic energy. When an object is at rest, it has potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy as the object moves due to opposing forces. However, even with this conversion of energy, the total amount of energy remains constant, as stated by the law.