How Does Current Initially Flow in a Circuit with a Capacitor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of current flow in a circuit and how it relates to the use of a capacitor. The capacitor does not allow current to flow through its dielectric, but instead, the charges move from the capacitor plates to the voltage source. The electric field from the battery causes this movement, allowing the circuit to be completed. The conversation also mentions the use of a copper wire as a makeshift capacitor.
sunilmaurya
Hey...i got a confusion @ how a circuit allows the current to flow initially when voltage source is applied across the capacitor.??
U know as per the concept the current flow in the circuit only if the circuit completes...? isn't it like that the dielectric between the plates of the capacitor will not allow the electron to flow through it...??
so how the electrons will get the complete path to flow...?

Plz answer it...pleasezzz.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you mentioned the current does not flow inside the dielectric of capacitor. Only the charges (of opposite sign) move outwards from capacitor plates to the voltage source which gives the illusion that circuit is completed.

The electric field from the battery cause electrons to build up on one of the plates . And as charge builds up on one of the plates this E field pushes charge away from the other plate . This all happens at once . So its the E field that does it .

exactly the confusion i had to struggle with when i started studying about capacitors (2 months back). No teacher seems to care about answering this question. However, i hope this page clears your confusion my friend!
I think that when we bring two ends of a copper wire together with an infinitesimal distance separating them, the two ends can act as the plates of a capacitor!
http://amasci.com/emotor/cap1.html

Hello there,

I can understand your confusion about how a circuit allows current to flow initially when a voltage source is applied across a capacitor. Let's break down the basic concepts to help clear things up.

Firstly, a capacitor is a passive electronic component that is designed to store electrical energy in an electric field between two conductive plates. When a voltage source is applied across a capacitor, the plates become charged, with one plate having a positive charge and the other having a negative charge.

Now, to address your question about the flow of current. In a circuit, current flows from the negative terminal of a voltage source to the positive terminal. This flow of current is driven by the difference in potential between the two terminals. In the case of a capacitor, the potential difference between the charged plates creates an electric field.

When a voltage source is applied across a capacitor, the electric field between the plates is initially unbalanced. This creates a flow of current as the electrons move from one plate to the other, trying to balance out the electric field. However, as the electrons move, they create an opposite electric field that opposes the initial field, eventually stopping the flow of current.

Therefore, in a circuit with a capacitor, the current initially flows as the electric field between the plates is being established. Once the field is balanced, the current stops flowing. This is known as charging a capacitor.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify things for you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep exploring and learning about basic concepts in electronics!

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores and releases electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as the dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, one plate accumulates a positive charge while the other accumulates a negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy. When the capacitor is connected to a circuit, it can release this stored energy in the form of electric current.

3. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are many different types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suitable for different applications.

4. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of a capacitor's ability to store electrical charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is determined by the size of the plates, the distance between them, and the type of dielectric material used.

5. How are capacitors used in electronic circuits?

Capacitors are used in electronic circuits for a variety of purposes, such as filtering noise, smoothing out voltage fluctuations, and storing energy to be used in timing circuits. They also play a crucial role in many electronic devices, including radios, computers, and power supplies.