Surplus of matter over anti-matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Feynman's model of anti-matter moving backward in time to explain the scarcity of anti-matter in our universe. The big bang created equal amounts of matter and anti-matter, most of which eventually annihilated each other. However, the particles that avoided their anti-particles moved in two opposite directions of time, becoming further apart in space-time. This raises the question of what happens when the anti-matter reaches the moment of the big bang, but since time was also created by the big bang, the anti-matter can never return to it. The conversation also mentions the current lack of a precise theory for the asymmetry between matter and anti-matter and the potential role of CP
josephwouk
I'm wondering why I haven't run into a discussion anywhere that uses Feynman's model of anti-matter moving backward in time to explain the paucity of anti-matter in our universe.

Quite simply:

1. The big bang created equal quantities of matter and anti matter.
  2. Almost all that was produced mutually annihilated.
  3. Those particles that avoided their anti-particle took off in two opposite directions of time.
  4. As time passed, they became further and further away from each other in space-time.
  5. The seeming paradox, of course, is what happens when the anti-matter returns to the moment of the big bang?
  6. But since time itself was also created by the big bang, the anti-matter can never return to it, but instead must continue backwards in time.
  7. This makes sense only when one regards the universe as four dimensional and infinite in size/potential size.

There has to be something wrong with this reasoning, or I would have read it. Could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a thought..
I believe the Big Bang created energy, out of which particles and anti-particles could spring.

The main reason that we have a matter universe and (almost) no antimatter is that there is some difference in decay mechanisms (CP violation). However at present, physicists haven't been able to put together a precise theory as to what is going on.

Try here for some leads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman It's at least mentioned in passing...

I don't think anyone knows why the asymmetry between matter and antine matter exists and I'm unsure if current theories attribute any of that to antimatter moving backward in time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman

Do you have a reference for Feynmans model?? I have several of his books but nothing on that subject...

1. What is the surplus of matter over anti-matter?

The surplus of matter over anti-matter refers to the observed imbalance between the amount of matter and anti-matter in the universe. In other words, there is more matter than anti-matter present.

2. How was this imbalance discovered?

The imbalance between matter and anti-matter was first observed in the 1960s through particle collider experiments. Scientists found that when particles of matter and anti-matter collided, they would annihilate each other and produce pure energy. However, a small amount of matter remained after the collision, indicating that there was a slight excess of matter over anti-matter.

3. What is the significance of this surplus?

The surplus of matter over anti-matter is one of the biggest mysteries in physics and cosmology. It is believed to have played a crucial role in the formation of the universe as we know it. If matter and anti-matter were present in equal amounts, they would have annihilated each other completely, leaving behind only energy. The fact that matter remained after the Big Bang allowed for the formation of stars, galaxies, and ultimately, life.

4. How do scientists explain this imbalance?

Currently, there is no definitive explanation for the surplus of matter over anti-matter. Some theories suggest that there may have been a small initial asymmetry between matter and anti-matter at the beginning of the universe, while others propose that certain physical processes during the Big Bang may have favored matter over anti-matter. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand this phenomenon.

5. Can this imbalance be reversed?

It is not currently possible to reverse the imbalance between matter and anti-matter. However, scientists are constantly studying and conducting experiments to better understand this phenomenon and potentially find ways to manipulate it in the future.