Good book for Classical Physics II?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's upcoming course that covers various topics in electricity and magnetism such as electrostatics, current, magnetic fields, induction, and Maxwell's equations. The speaker mentions that they have difficulty understanding recommended books and asks for recommendations, and the other person suggests a book titled "Physics for scientists and engineers."
uriwolln
Hey,
I am starting this course very shortly, and I always found that the books the professor recommended, I couldn't quite understand.
So these are my syllables:

Electrostatics: electric charge and field, Coulomb law, Gauss law; potential; energy; conductors; Poisson and Laplace equations and methods for solution; capacitors, dialectrics.
Current, conductivity, Drude model, Kirchhoff, RC circuits.
Magnetic field, Lorentz force, Ampere law, vector potential, Biot-Savart law, Lorentz transformation of electric and magnetic fields
Induction, Faraday law, Lentz law, energy in a magnetic field, magnetic materials.
Maxwell equations and the general solution, electromagnetic waves, relativistic formulation.
Introduction to radiation

I looked through "A treatise on electricity and magnetism Vol 2, Maxwell "
but, as far as I could see, it does not include some of the subjects I will learn.

Any help with this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What topics are typically covered in a textbook for Classical Physics II?

A good textbook on Classical Physics II will cover topics such as electromagnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics topics like relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for Classical Physics II?

Yes, there are many recommended textbooks for Classical Physics II. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand a textbook on Classical Physics II?

While a strong background in mathematics can certainly be helpful, most textbooks on Classical Physics II are written in a way that is accessible to students with a basic understanding of calculus and algebra.

4. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that could enhance the learning experience with a textbook on Classical Physics II?

Yes, many textbooks come with online resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and lecture notes. In addition, there are also many free online resources available, such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare, that can provide additional explanations and practice problems.

5. How can I use a textbook on Classical Physics II effectively to study for exams?

To effectively use a textbook for studying, it is important to regularly review and practice the material, as well as actively engage with the material by taking notes and asking questions. It can also be helpful to work through practice problems and to seek help from professors or peers when needed.