Books on linear algebra and differential equations

In summary, you are an expert in linear algebra and differential equations. You have written a book on these topics.
PainterGuy
hi,

first let me inform you that I'm not very good maths but love to learn it. I've basic understanding of maths. u take my maths abilities as 9th or 10th grader high schooler. i don't exactly know what linear algebra is but someone told me that it's about matrices. i have 4x4 and 6x6 matrices. i know basic differentiation and integration.

i love to learn math from a point of view which informs the reader in simple words that how maths ib built and used to solve problems and what is really going on behind those symbols and numbers. would u please recommend some basic books on linear algebra and differential equations with lots of explanations. I'm not very much cncerned about exercises because i want to understand the concepts. i need books which presents the material in good and understandable manner. i don't need excercises. please tell me some books.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
pleae forgive me. this is probably going to be over your head, but since i wrote it i hope people will read it. take a look at my free linear algebra book on my web page, notes for math 4050.

http://www.math.uga.edu/%7Eroy/4050sum08.pdf

at least the price is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx mathwonk. so u r an expert on linear algebra that's the reaason you've written a book on this topic... my local library has schaum's linear algebra by seymour...i will get it issued soon...then will ask you for help when needed... do u have any information on this book?

i've also download ur book too...but you were write this is going to be over my head... but I am sure i wud be able to learn to some level with ur help...thanx

if you look here:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=introduction+to+matrix+algebra&x=47&y=10you will find dozens if used linear algebra books under $20.

I did not find the one I was looking for for you however, Introduction to matrix algebra, from the SMSG series of mathematics texts for high school.

I am not especially an expert in linear algebra, but almost every mathematician is essentially an expert in basic linear algebra, we all have to know it and we all do know it. It is the easiest and most useful topic in mathematics.

thanx mathwonk. i think i wud be involved in basic linear algebra... so you're going to be my saviour:smile:

i searched that book...isn't it the one u were looking for me:---

http://static.cemseprojects.org/smsg/Introduction_to_Matrix_Algebra.pdf

many other books available here:----
http://cemse.uchicago.edu/node/135

For differential equations, I'd recommend Tenenbaum and Pollard's book Ordinary Differential Equations. Good explanations without sacrificing rigor.

Ackbeet, is this book for beginners. i know some basic calculus.

painterguy said:
Ackbeet, is this book for beginners. i know some basic calculus.

It is for beginners. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book for a sophomore-level DE's class (which is when a lot of people typically learn DE's.) You definitely need to know your basic integration techniques, but that's true of any DE's course. Wouldn't hurt if you also knew how to compute partial derivatives (but that's not any more difficult than ordinary derivatives). Anything else needed is explained in the book itself.

wow how did you find that smsg book? yes its the one.

and i agree on pollard and tenenbaum.

Ackbeet said:
It is for beginners. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book for a sophomore-level DE's class (which is when a lot of people typically learn DE's.) You definitely need to know your basic integration techniques, but that's true of any DE's course. Wouldn't hurt if you also knew how to compute partial derivatives (but that's not any more difficult than ordinary derivatives). Anything else needed is explained in the book itself.

thanks Ackbeet.

mathwonk said:
wow how did you find that smsg book?.

how? you showed me the way, i walked in that direction. thanks for all the help.

Can you find the smsg calculus books? I only found maybe 1 of the 3 volumes.

thanks. there are apparently two series. this link is to calculus of elementary functions rather than general calculus. still that is probably the right place to start.

I just downloaded them and they look better to me than the books we use at UGA for our courses.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
Can you find the smsg calculus books? I only found maybe 1 of the 3 volumes.

hi mathwonk

i believe Robanzaa's post was helpful. if i could be of any help please do let me know.

cheers

Ackbeet said:
For differential equations, I'd recommend Tenenbaum and Pollard's book Ordinary Differential Equations. Good explanations without sacrificing rigor.

Tenenbaum and Pollard is solid, but it will stretch you ability with Calculus - make sure you know your Integrals...

For linear algebra, this is a good free introduction:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/LinAlg/LinAlg.aspx

This is a little more advanced:
http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/

After those two, you should be ready for Mathwonk's books.

There are free video lectures here:
http://www.uccs.edu/~math/vidarchive.html

Here are some more videos for ODEs:
http://www.online.math.uh.edu/Math3321/

VoxCaelum said:
Supposedly Hirsch and Smale have a really good book on this subject...
I have not read it myself, but this does NOT have a reputation as a beginners book (either the new or old version). I don't think it is what the OP is looking for.

Sankaku said:
I have not read it myself, but this does NOT have a reputation as a beginners book (either the new or old version). I don't think it is what the OP is looking for.

much thanks everyone. yes, i need basic undersanding of the concepts. not looking for difficult books.

cheers

painterguy said:
much thanks everyone. yes, i need basic undersanding of the concepts. not looking for difficult books.

cheers
I think you may find this site at least somewhat useful:
http://www.jirka.org/diffyqs/htmlver/diffyqs.html

Oh and don't even bother buying any books for a first course in Differential Equations, Tenenbaum is far superior to anything else out there(to be fair, most of the books on ODEs are poorly written).

Last edited:
Anyone ever use this book?

Differential Equations and Linear Algebra by Farlow, Hall, McDill

I'm using it next semester and am a bit worried because I've heard it's a mess from my friends that took this class. I'm definitely going to buy a DE/LA book at the start of the summer to self study.

The books that click best with me are visual books. Lots of pictures, physical applications, etc. I know DE/LA is approaching higher level math but can anyone recommend a DE/LA book that's for a physicist? Thank you.

1. What is the difference between linear algebra and differential equations?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and vector spaces, while differential equations involve the study of how quantities change over time, often through the use of derivatives.

2. How can I apply linear algebra and differential equations in real life?

Linear algebra is used in many fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science to solve problems involving systems of linear equations. Differential equations are used to model and predict changes in physical systems, such as population growth or the motion of objects.

3. What are some recommended books on linear algebra and differential equations?

Some popular books on linear algebra and differential equations include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay and "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by George F. Simmons.

4. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to understand books on linear algebra and differential equations?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, many books on linear algebra and differential equations are written in a way that is accessible to readers with varying levels of mathematical knowledge. Some books may also include review sections for important mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about linear algebra and differential equations?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, tutorials, and practice problems available for learning about linear algebra and differential equations. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Wolfram MathWorld.