Volume of nebula needed to form a star with same number of atoms as sun

In summary, the question asks for the volume of a nebula that contains enough atoms to make a star with a similar radius to the sun. Using the formula for the volume of a sphere, the volume of the sun is calculated to be 1.4x10^27 m^3. However, the answer in the book is 1.8x10^49 m^3, which leads to confusion and frustration for the individuals discussing the question. They both agree that the books do not provide enough explanation for the questions, and one of them plans to go over the question with their tutor for further clarification.
cattons3
1. Question: In one region of a nebula the mean separation of atoms is 2.3x10^-3 m. What volume of the nebula contains enough atoms to make a star, similar to the sun, of radius 7.0x10^8 m within which the mean distance between atoms is 1.0x10^-10m?

2. Volume of sphere 4/3(pi(r^3 ))

3. Volume sun = 1.4x10^27 m^3. I thought that atoms in sun would be volume divided by separation distance and therefore volume of nebula that contains same number of atoms is atoms times separation distance (of nebula)? my answer was 3.22x10^34 m^3 answer in book is 1.8x10^49 m^3

I really hate these OCR A2 physics books because they don't work through any of the questions..
Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree i had the exact same question and objection to the books, i arrived at the same conclusion as you, did you ever resolve the question?

I'm sorry that was a while ago now and I can't remember ...

HAha fine, I'l go over it with my tutor tomorrow. Well done for putting your working so clearly, it helped.

I understand your frustration with the lack of explanation in some textbooks. Allow me to clarify the calculations for you.

Firstly, the volume of a sphere is indeed 4/3(pi(r^3)). However, in this case, we are not dealing with a perfect sphere as the nebula may have irregular shapes and densities. Therefore, we cannot simply use this formula to calculate the volume.

Instead, we can estimate the volume by assuming that the nebula is a cube with a side length of 2.3x10^-3 m (since the mean separation of atoms is given as 2.3x10^-3 m). This would give us a volume of (2.3x10^-3)^3 = 1.31x10^-8 m^3.

Next, we can calculate the number of atoms in this volume by dividing the volume of the sun (1.4x10^27 m^3) by the separation distance of the sun (1.0x10^-10 m). This gives us 1.4x10^37 atoms.

Therefore, the volume of the nebula needed to contain the same number of atoms as the sun would be 1.31x10^-8 m^3 x 1.4x10^37 atoms = 1.8x10^29 m^3.

I believe the answer in the book may have been a typo, as 1.8x10^49 m^3 is a much larger volume than the sun itself. I hope this helps clarify the calculations for you. Keep questioning and seeking understanding in your studies!

1. How much volume of nebula is needed to form a star with the same number of atoms as the sun?

The volume of nebula required to form a star with the same number of atoms as the sun varies depending on the type of star and the density of the nebula. However, on average, it is estimated that a volume of approximately 1 trillion cubic miles (1.67 x 10^24 cubic meters) of nebula is needed.

2. What is the relationship between the volume of nebula and the number of atoms in a star?

The volume of nebula needed to form a star with the same number of atoms as the sun is directly proportional to the number of atoms. This means that the more atoms present, the larger the volume of nebula needed to form a star.

3. How does the density of the nebula affect the volume needed to form a star?

The density of the nebula plays a significant role in determining the volume needed to form a star. A denser nebula contains more atoms per unit volume, so a smaller volume of nebula would be needed to form a star with the same number of atoms as the sun compared to a less dense nebula.

4. Can a star form without a nebula?

No, a star cannot form without a nebula. Nebulae are the birthplaces of stars, as they contain the necessary ingredients such as gas, dust, and atoms, which collapse under their own gravity to form a star.

5. How long does it take for a star to form from a nebula?

The time it takes for a star to form from a nebula varies greatly depending on the size and density of the nebula, as well as the mass of the star being formed. On average, it can take anywhere from a few million years to billions of years for a star to form from a nebula.