James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the person did not use this book for their previous course, but their new university requires it for calc I, II, and III. They purchased the 6th edition, which covers functions/models to vector calculus and differential equations, but they see others with smaller volumes of the same book. They are wondering if the smaller volumes are the same book or if they need to return their edition. The ISBN for their edition is 978-0-495-01160-6 and the required ISBN is 978-0-495-38417-5. This book covers chapters 1-6 for calc I, while the smaller volume only covers calc I.
QuarkCharmer
I didn't work with this book for my last course, but my new university has this listed as the book for calc I, II, and III. I purchased the whole 6th edition, but I see people that have smaller volumes of it. Is this the same book as the volumes or am I going to have to return it?

I have ISBN-13: 978-0-495-01160-6
(It goes from functions/models all the way up to vector calculus and Differential Equations)

and the course requires ISBN-13: 978-0-495-38417-5Hopefully someone knows. Thanks

Edit: I see now that there is a science book section, I apologize for posting in the wrong forum if I did such.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both are acceptable for calc I (assuming it will cover chapters 1 through 6).

The book you own will cover calc I, II, and III while volume 1 only covers calc I.

Ok great, I need it for Calc II/III, so that works out great. Thanks.

1. What topics are covered in James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition?

The 6th edition of James Stewart's Calculus covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives, techniques of integration, sequences and series, and multivariable calculus.

2. Is James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition suitable for beginners?

Yes, James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition is suitable for beginners as it provides a comprehensive introduction to calculus and includes step-by-step explanations and examples to help students understand the concepts.

3. Are there any online resources available for James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition?

Yes, there are various online resources available for James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition, including interactive tutorials, practice problems, and lecture videos. These resources can be accessed through the publisher's website or other online learning platforms.

4. What sets James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition apart from other calculus textbooks?

James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition is known for its clear and concise writing style, its focus on real-world applications of calculus, and its numerous practice problems and exercises for students to enhance their understanding and skills.

5. Is James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition suitable for self-study?

Yes, James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition can be used for self-study as it includes thorough explanations and examples, as well as a variety of practice problems and exercises. However, it is recommended to seek additional resources or guidance from a tutor if needed.