Calculating First Order Photon Self-Energy Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the first order photon self-energy and the use of Wick rotation. The speaker is unsure about how certain terms will change under Wick rotation and asks for clarification. Another speaker suggests rotating all four-vectors and reassures that any manipulations can be done as usual.
lornstone
Hi,

I am trying to calculate the first order photon self-energy.

At a point, I must calculte the following integral :
[tex] \int d^4k \frac{(k+q)^\mu k^\nu+(k+q)^\nu k^\mu - g^{\mu \nu}(k \cdot(k+q) - m^2}{k^2 + 2x(q\cdot k) + xq^2 -m^2} [/tex]

I know that I must wick rotate and that [tex] k^2[/tex] will become [tex]-k_E^2[/tex].
But I don't know what terms like [tex] (k+q)^\mu k^\nu[/tex] will become.

Can anybody help me?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Those terms will just stay the same. All you have to do is keep in mind that in the [itex]k^\mu k^\nu[/itex] tensor, [itex](\mu,\nu)=(0,0)[/itex] component will acquire a minus sign and the [itex](0,i)[/itex] and [itex](i,0)[/itex] components for [itex]i=\{1,2,3\}[/itex] will have a factor of [itex]i[/itex].

But you do not need to worry about these changes. Just proceed with your calculation.

Thank you!

But now I wonder if I can also wick rotate q so that after the change of variable [tex] k' = k+ qx [/tex] I will get no linear term in k in the denominator.

Of course, you Wick rotate all four-vectors, i.e., both the integration variables (loop momenta) and the external momenta that are not integrated out. After that, of course, you can do any manipulations like substitutions etc.

1. What is the purpose of calculating first order photon self-energy integral?

The first order photon self-energy integral is used to determine the contribution of virtual photons to the electromagnetic field in quantum field theory. It is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of particles and fields at the quantum level.

2. How is the first order photon self-energy integral calculated?

The first order photon self-energy integral is calculated using Feynman diagrams, which represent the interaction between particles and fields in quantum field theory. The integral is then solved using mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory and renormalization.

3. What factors affect the value of the first order photon self-energy integral?

The value of the first order photon self-energy integral is affected by various factors, including the type of particle involved, the energy scale of the interaction, and the strength of the coupling between particles and fields. Additionally, the presence of other particles and fields in the system can also impact the value of the integral.

4. Why is it important to calculate the first order photon self-energy integral?

Calculating the first order photon self-energy integral allows us to better understand the behavior of particles and fields at the quantum level. It also helps us make predictions and test the validity of theoretical models in quantum field theory. Additionally, the integral is used in many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies in fields like quantum computing and particle physics.

5. Are there any challenges associated with calculating the first order photon self-energy integral?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with calculating the first order photon self-energy integral. These include dealing with divergences in the calculations, which require the use of mathematical techniques like renormalization to obtain meaningful results. Additionally, the integral can become increasingly complex when considering higher orders and multiple interactions between particles and fields.