Thermodynamics- total kinetic energy and rms velocity

In summary: However, this is one way to do it. In summary, the kinetic energy and pressure of the helium molecules are 3/2 of the density of helium.
xxx23
Find total kinetic energy and root mean square velocity of the molecules of 10 liters of helium gas at an equilibrium pressure of 105 N m−2. Density of helium is 0.1786 gram/liter.

I am having trouble with the question, I know:

K=(Nm<v^2>)/2

PV=(Nm <v^2>)/3

but I am not sure how to apply this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
xxx23 said:
Find total kinetic energy and root mean square velocity of the molecules of 10 liters of helium gas at an equilibrium pressure of 105 N m−2. Density of helium is 0.1786 gram/liter.
Can you find the temperature? What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy?

AM

I have partial solutions from my tutorial but they are not making too much sense...

From the above equations, it goes:

K= 1/2 Nm <v>^2 so if divide each side by V
K= 1/2 ρ V <v>^2

from here the solution goes:

PV=1/3 Nm <v>^2

K=3/2 PV I can see that 2K=3PV

but i do not understand where the following equations come from:

K=1/3 ρ V <v>^2 because this is what i need to rearrange to find Vrms.

You did not answer my questions.

AM

I know that as the temp increases so does the kinetic energy.

1/2 m <v>^2 = 3/2 KT

xxx23 said:
I know that as the temp increases so does the kinetic energy.

1/2 m <v>^2 = 3/2 KT
You haven't answered my first question: what is the temperature of the Helium? (hint: assume it is an ideal gas).

AM

I'm not sure if you still need help with this question, but I'll show how I'd work it out:

Firstly, to find the RMS (root mean squared) velocity of the molecules, we'll start with your equation,

PV=(Nm <v^2>)/3 Now we don't know N, and while we could calculate it, its easier to rearrange this equation to form,
P = (Nm<v^2>)/3V (multiplying both sides by V)
P = (1/3)p<v^2> (using Nm/V = p (density) )

Now we know p the density, and P the pressure so rearrange
<v^2> = 3P/p
<v^2> = 3 x 105 / (0.1786 x 10^-3 / 10^-3 ) [ensuring p is in kg/m^3]
<v^2> = 1763.7178...
RMS = 42.0 ms^-1 (3sf) [square root the <v^2>]

Secondly to find the total Kinetic energy

Start with what we have, so P = Nm<v^2> / 3V
and K= 1/2 Nm <v^2>

So 3PV = Nm<v^2>
3PV/2 = 1/2 Nm<v^2>
and since K = 1/2 Nm<v^2>
We can state that K = 3/2 PV and can now substitute your values into find the answer.

There are many ways of solving these as they are all rearrangements of the same equation.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relation to other forms of energy, such as work and temperature. It also includes the behavior of matter under various conditions, such as changes in temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. What is total kinetic energy in thermodynamics?

Total kinetic energy in thermodynamics refers to the sum of all the kinetic energies of the particles in a given system. This includes both translational and rotational kinetic energies of the particles.

3. How is total kinetic energy related to temperature?

Total kinetic energy is directly proportional to temperature, according to the kinetic theory of gases. This means that as temperature increases, the total kinetic energy of the particles in a system also increases.

4. What is rms velocity in thermodynamics?

Rms velocity, or root mean square velocity, is a measure of the average speed of particles in a gas. It is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared velocities of the particles in a gas.

5. How is rms velocity related to temperature?

Rms velocity is directly proportional to the square root of temperature, according to the kinetic theory of gases. This means that as temperature increases, the rms velocity of particles in a gas also increases.