Aerospace and/or Mechanical Engineer Degree

In summary, Boneh3ad is considering getting a BS,MS/PhD in Aerospace Engineering in order to pursue a career in the space industry. He is unsure if getting a BS,MS/PhD in Aerospace Engineering would effect his job prospects, but he is hopeful. He wants to know if research is more on the lines of 'form ideas/suggestions with your brain about the design, based on physics, and watch it come together' or if design is more his focus.
Solid2k12
Hey, I always had a passion for space and pretty much anything space related and I've recently decided to change my major (currently liberal Arts & Sciences) to Aerospace engineering so i can pursue a career where I'm apart of the space industry. However, i have read from various forums how Mechanical Engineering is more diverse and covers a wider range of topics than Aerospace, and in some cases, awards you with more employment options. With that in mind, I'm also considering getting a Masters degree or even a PhD and i was wondering what is my chance of being employed working on projects/research for a space company (something like NASA) if i got a BS in mechanical E. and a masters and/or PhD in Aerospace E.

Also would it be a bad idea to have a BS,MS/PhD in Aerospace? How would this effect my job prospects for working in the space industry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solid2k12 said:
Hey, I always had a passion for space and pretty much anything space related and I've recently decided to change my major (currently liberal Arts & Sciences) to Aerospace engineering so i can pursue a career where I'm apart of the space industry. However, i have read from various forums how Mechanical Engineering is more diverse and covers a wider range of topics than Aerospace, and in some cases, awards you with more employment options. With that in mind, I'm also considering getting a Masters degree or even a PhD and i was wondering what is my chance of being employed working on projects/research for a space company (something like NASA) if i got a BS in mechanical E. and a masters and/or PhD in Aerospace E.

Your prospects are fine with any of those options. NASA, SpaceX, Lockheed, Boeing, and any other company that build or work with spacecraft all employ many aerospace engineers and mechanical engineers. It just depends on what part of the process you want to work in. If you get a graduate degree in aerospace engineering, for the most part people aren't going to care what your undergraduate degree was, especially if your graduate degree is a Ph.D.

Solid2k12 said:
Also would it be a bad idea to have a BS,MS/PhD in Aerospace? How would this effect my job prospects for working in the space industry?

It wouldn't affect it at all. It just depends on what your job goals are. If you want to get into research, you need a Ph.D. regardless of what industry you are in. If you just want to get to work and be one of various flavors of design engineer, a BS is just fine. You just have to realize that with a Ph.D., there are jobs for which you will now be overqualified and won't be able to get.

Thanks Boneh3ad, from what I see your telling me and from various other sources, it seems that you can get a job working in the space industry with any of those degrees. Which is good so i don't have to pull my hair out trying to figure out which degree to pick. Plus, I'm 100% sure I'll be at least going for my masters so that will help as well.

I was thinking about getting into maybe the design part of engineering. I'm still doing research to find out what aerospace engineers who study the research side actually do. But design sounds like it's something i would like to do. However, if research is more on the lines of 'form ideas/suggestions with your brain about the design, based on physics, and watch it come together' then that is something i would do. So any light you or anyone can shed on that would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the difference between aerospace and mechanical engineering?

Aerospace engineering focuses on the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft, while mechanical engineering is a broader field that includes the design and development of various mechanical systems. Aerospace engineers also deal with aerodynamics, propulsion, and materials specific to the aerospace industry.

2. What kind of job opportunities are available for aerospace and mechanical engineers?

Aerospace engineers can work for companies that design and manufacture aircraft, spacecraft, or missiles. They can also work for government agencies such as NASA or the Department of Defense. Mechanical engineers have a wide range of job opportunities, including working in industries such as automotive, manufacturing, and energy. They can also work for consulting firms or government agencies.

3. What skills are necessary for a successful career in aerospace or mechanical engineering?

Both aerospace and mechanical engineers need a strong foundation in math and physics. They also need problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team. Other important skills include computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided engineering (CAE) software proficiency, as well as knowledge of materials and their properties.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in aerospace or mechanical engineering?

While a bachelor's degree is typically the minimum requirement for entry-level positions in both fields, a graduate degree can lead to more advanced job opportunities and higher salaries. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a master's degree or higher for certain positions.

5. What are the current trends and advancements in aerospace and mechanical engineering?

Some current trends in aerospace engineering include the development of electric and hybrid aircraft, advancements in drone technology, and the use of additive manufacturing (3D printing) for aircraft components. In mechanical engineering, there is a focus on sustainable and renewable energy sources, automation and robotics in manufacturing, and the use of artificial intelligence in product design and development.