Calculating Elementary Charge Using Millikan's Experiment Results

• Thread starter decamij
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, to calculate the elementary charge using the results of Millikan's experiment, you use the equation q = mgr/V to find the charge on each oil drop and then determine the greatest common divisor of the charges to find the elementary charge. This can be done without advanced physics knowledge, making it accessible for grade 12 students.
decamij
Using BASIC physics, and being given some results of Millikan's experiment, how would i calculate elementary charge. Basic physics means using the following equation:

q = mgr
V

Here are some results:

mass (kg) voltage (V) distance (m)
3.2X10^-15 140.0 0.005
2.4X10^-15 147.0 0.005
1.9X10^-15 290.9 0.005
4.2X10^-15 214.4 0.005

i used the above equation to find the charge on each oil drop. Then what do i do?
P.S. I'm only in grade 12, and i only the basics of this topic. Please don't use crazy 4th year advanced physics.

Thanx a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
If you calculate the charge on the drop for each experiment, you get:
##1.12\times 10^{-18} C##
##8.0\times 10^{-19} C##
##3.2\times 10^{-19} C##
##9.6\times 10^{-19} C##
Assuming that the elementary charge is an indivisible unit tells you that the charge on an oil drop must be an integer multiple of the elementary charge (so you can have, e.g., 3, 8, or 17 charges on an oil droplet, but you can't have a fraction of a charge). With this knowledge, finding the elementary charge is as straightforward as finding the greatest common divisor of the charges on individual oil drops.

1. What is the purpose of Millikan's experiment?

Millikan's experiment was designed to determine the value of the elementary charge, the fundamental unit of electric charge carried by an electron.

2. How did Millikan calculate the elementary charge?

Millikan used an oil drop experiment, in which he measured the rate at which charged oil droplets fell in an electric field. By varying the strength of the electric field, he was able to determine the charge on each droplet and from that calculate the value of the elementary charge.

3. What were some challenges Millikan faced in his experiment?

One of the main challenges Millikan faced was ensuring that the oil droplets were stationary in the electric field, as even the slightest air currents or vibrations could affect their movement. He also had to account for the presence of multiple charges on the droplets, which could complicate the calculations.

4. How accurate was Millikan's determination of the elementary charge?

Millikan's experiment was able to determine the value of the elementary charge with an accuracy of about 1%, which was a significant improvement compared to previous estimates. However, later experiments using more advanced techniques have refined the value even further.

5. Why is knowing the value of the elementary charge important?

The elementary charge is a fundamental constant in physics and is used in many equations and theories to describe the behavior of atoms and molecules. Knowing its value allows for a better understanding of the natural world and enables scientists to make more accurate predictions and calculations.