Help with prototype-circuit protection

• Thread starter brutl_force
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protection
In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to protect their automotive computer from various potential hazards such as voltage spikes, short circuits, and incorrect battery connections. They are looking for diodes to be placed on the positive and negative wires and are asking for recommendations on the type and ratings of diodes needed for the project. They also mention a budget of $50 for components.
brutl_force
Hello. First off, I am not an electrical engineer, have no college education, just an inventive mind, and smart enough to get myself into trouble.

The project: I have a automotive computer I need circuit protection for. This computer draws a maximum of 30 (dual 15 amp fuses) amps at 12 VDC on 4 un-switched battery wires. I want to protect it from voltage spikes (up to lightning would be great), positive current shorts to ground (that do burn these computers), or welding on the vehicle chassis, and protect against hooking up the battery leads wrong (WILL burn these computers).

From what I can figure, I need some diodes on both positive, and negative (it uses 3 negative wires for ground) wires.

Question: being as I have limited knowledge of diodes, what type/ratings would I need for this project.

Trying to keep the cost under $50 in components.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a prototype-circuit protection?

A prototype-circuit protection is a device or system that is designed to protect electronic circuits and components from damage due to excessive current, voltage, or temperature. It is typically used during the testing and development phase of a new electronic product.

2. Why is prototype-circuit protection important?

Prototype-circuit protection is important because it helps prevent damage to electronic circuits and components during the testing and development phase. This can save time and money by avoiding the need to replace or repair damaged components.

3. What types of prototype-circuit protection are available?

There are various types of prototype-circuit protection available, including fuses, circuit breakers, surge protectors, and overvoltage protection devices. The type of protection needed will depend on the specific circuit and its requirements.

4. How do I choose the right prototype-circuit protection for my project?

To choose the right prototype-circuit protection, you should consider the voltage and current ratings of your circuit, as well as the type of protection needed. It is also important to consult with a knowledgeable engineer or conduct thorough research to ensure the chosen protection is suitable for your project.

5. Can I design my own prototype-circuit protection?

While it is possible to design your own prototype-circuit protection, it is not recommended unless you have extensive knowledge and experience in electronic circuit design. It is best to consult with a professional engineer or use pre-designed protection devices to ensure proper functionality and safety.