Are my coursework margins properly formatted?

• Thread starter rollcast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coursework
In summary, the conversation is about formatting chemical formulas in Word using the Microsoft Mathematics Add On. The question is whether the left and right margins should be adjusted, and other suggestions are welcomed. The conversation also suggests using LaTeX or lipstick for a more dramatic effect.
rollcast
Not sure if this is the right section but it seemed the most appropriate.

I'm typing up my chemistry coursework and I'm using Word with the Microsoft Mathematics Add On to make my formula's look better.

Do the left/right margins look right or should I make them larger?

attachment.php?attachmentid=43161&stc=1&d=1327611989.png

If you have any other suggestions fire away with them.

Thanks
AL

Attachments

• pagelayout.png
    pagelayout.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
Margins are fine IMO ... but I think that your chemical formulas should not be italicized. i.e.

this:
[itex]\text{Mg} + 2\text{H} \rightarrow \text{stuff}[/itex]

instead of this:
[itex]Mg + 2H \rightarrow stuff[/itex]

:smile:

I am not sure what the easiest way to do this is. I think you need to go to Style -> Text or something like that. There might be a keyboard shortcut to it as well.

Does the formatting matter as long as your formulae are correct? It sure looks nicer than the hand written work turned in when I was a student, or trying to type equation on a typewriter for formal reports. Unless you're told otherwise, worry about accuracy rather than wasting time on fonts and margins.

Use LaTeX :biggrin: (sorry, couldn't resist)

micromass said:
Use LaTeX :biggrin: (sorry, couldn't resist)

Use lipstick and a mirror ... that'll really freak your classmates out. Just be sure to breathe really heavily while taking notes. :uhh:

Saladsamurai said:
Use lipstick and a mirror ... that'll really freak your classmates out. Just be sure to breathe really heavily while taking notes. :uhh:

Or just take red ink (that looks like blood) and write "REDRUM" a hundred times on your paper. That'll be sure to give you attention.

1. What are the standard margins for coursework formatting?

The standard margins for coursework formatting are 1 inch on all sides.

2. How can I ensure that my coursework margins are properly formatted?

To ensure that your coursework margins are properly formatted, you can adjust the margins in your word processing software or use a pre-formatted template.

3. Are there any specific formatting guidelines for coursework margins?

Yes, most institutions have specific formatting guidelines for coursework margins, such as 1 inch margins on all sides, double-spacing, and a specific font and font size.

4. Can I use different margins for different sections of my coursework?

It is best to use consistent margins throughout your coursework. However, if your institution has specific guidelines for different sections, you should follow those guidelines.

5. What should I do if my coursework margins do not meet the required formatting guidelines?

If your coursework margins do not meet the required formatting guidelines, you should adjust them according to the guidelines or consult with your instructor for further guidance.