Why Are Physicists Shy & Antisocial?

• Thread starter Casco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary: However, I have observed that many physicists are quite shy when interacting with people outside of their field. I think this is probably due to the fact that they spend a lot of time studying and working in isolation.
I would love to know what do you mean by "pop culture".

Physics news on Phys.org
cbetanco said:
Wait until you are older... At first you love talking to girls and love when they talk to you, but then later on you love it when they stop talking. They might seem to love hearing about your life now, but later they will love to tell you how to live your life... Or maybe I am just getting bitter and cynical.

Haha, I totally agree no doubt. But the world is a cruel place, that's why I spend most of my time in the dark studying ;)

Rika said:
I would love to know what do you mean by "pop culture".

Obviously your question is setting up, so you'll have to clarify.

You must know what pop culture is.

I'll try another way - did you mean by chance that people who watch movies, play video games or read comics are shallow idiots?

Rika said:
I'll try another way - did you mean by chance that people who watch movies, play video games or read comics are shallow idiots?

lol, yea Rika that's exactly what I meant. You put it so much more eloquently.

It was a general comment, I can't be more specific without it being flat out wrong. If you miss the "feel" of what I was saying than...you miss out. You would have to read the thread from the start. There was a context there, as indicated by "I'll go ahead and say it,".

nitsuj said:

It was a general comment, I can't be more specific without it being flat out wrong. If you miss the "feel" of what I was saying than...you miss out. You would have to read the thread from the start. There was a context there, as indicated by "I'll go ahead and say it,".

Can you support that assertion?

Vagn said:
Can you support that assertion?
Sorry I can't... not enough interest to think much more about it

nitsuj said:
"[/I].

I think what are you saying is not true, I know a lot of people who has a remarkable career in science and they do all that you say that is for idiot people.

Casco said:
I think what are you saying is not true, I know a lot of people who has a remarkable career in science and they do all that you say that is for idiot people.

What are you saying? If you are REAL physicist you think only about physics :P

Putting jokes aside it's really sad that people in physics community are so narrow-minded.

I think that by not watching movies or playing games you are missing a lot - some of them are masterpieces and having good general knowledge is a sign of being intellectual.

Rika said:

Putting jokes aside it's really sad that people in physics community are so narrow-minded.

I think that by not watching movies or playing games you are missing a lot - some of them are masterpieces and having good general knowledge is a sign of being intellectual.
Human body is supposedly an active high level yet incomplete system. Therefore while running, it will also produce errors and unexpected memory leaks, until you could come down or up to work with particular systems will you be able to realize what they are and can you then propose appropriate policies to deal with them. I always believe that there are lessons I would learn as well as those people learn from me.

Rika said:

I don't think that all people in the physics community are narrow-minded like you say, and I'm positive that studying physics and things like movies or video games are not mutually exclusive...

SHISHKABOB said:
I don't think that all people in the physics community are narrow-minded like you say

Ofc not but as you can see some of them are.

SHISHKABOB said:
I'm positive that studying physics and things like movies or video games are not mutually exclusive...

Yup.

Rika said:
Ofc not but as you can see some of them are.

right but... there's no reason to specify physicists as being narrow-minded when it's obvious that it's not a trait particular to them. There's like two or three guys you've been responding to. That's not an accurate sampling whatsoever.

You should see us here at the university of sussex, there are no shy physicists!

TheWire247 said:
You should see us here at the university of sussex, there are no shy physicists!
In all my time there I don't remember meeting a single physicist...clearly shy to the point of hiding :tongue2:

Ryan_m_b said:
In all my time there I don't remember meeting a single physicist...clearly shy to the point of hiding :tongue2:

University of Sussex guy owned! haha

There are a lot of stereotypes that aren't really true, and I believe this to be one of them. What I would actually anticipate is that just the opposite is actually true and that this falls into the same category as "why are smart people unattractive/socially inept/very thin?," etc."

Instead ask, though, "Why do I THINK physicists are shy?" or "Why does SOCIETY think physicists are shy?" You could say that the myth is perpetuated by pop culture (Big Bang Theory, etc.), or maybe you could find a few high profile examples that were falsely generalized. Newton, for example.

Maybe you could even ask "Are people with asperger's syndrome more drawn to physics than the general population?"