Limit of ln n/ln (n+1) as n approaches infinity | Calculus Help and Solutions

• Thread starter juliusoh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of ln(ln x/ln(x+1)) as n gets close to infinity is x=ln(1). To find this limit, you use l'Hopital's rule and then use approximations like log(1+x)~x and 1/(1+x)~1-x. If you are just interested in finding the limit and not in a rigorous proof, you could use the physicists way and start by writing log(n+1)=log(n*(1+1/n))=log(n)+log(1+1/n)~log(n)+1/n.
juliusoh

Homework Statement

Find the limit of: lim as n--> ∞ of [ln n / ln (n+1)]^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Lopitals rule to find the limit of ln/ln(n+1) and it equals to 1.
However what do i do after there?
AND I know its bounded by 0< <1
squeeze theorem..
BUT IM not sure what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
juliusoh said:

Homework Statement

Find the limit of: lim as n--> ∞ of [ln n / ln (n+1)]^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Lopitals rule to find the limit of ln/ln(n+1) and it equals to 1.
However what do i do after there?
AND I know its bounded by 0< <1
squeeze theorem..
BUT I'm not sure what to do next.
Hello juliusoh. Welcome to PF !

Try to find the limit of the log of your expression.

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty} \ln\left(\left(\frac{\ln(n)}{\ln(n+1)}\right)^n\ \right)[/itex]

Wow its too complicated.. i keep getting stuck...

This is a good problem to get you acquainted with l'Hopital's rule :wink:

Is this how you started it? I haven't worked it out, but this is how I would rewrite it before l'Hopital's rule:

[tex]\ln \left(\left(\frac{\ln x}{\ln(x+1)}\right)^x\right) = x\ln\left(\frac{\ln x}{\ln(x+1)}\right) = \frac{\ln\left(\frac{\ln x}{\ln(x+1)}\right)}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

If you are just interesting in finding the limit and less interested in a rigorous proof, you could do it the physicists way. Use approximations like log(1+x)~x and 1/(1+x)~1-x where x<<1 and the '~' means I've left out higher order terms in the taylor expansion. Start by writing log(n+1)=log(n*(1+1/n))=log(n)+log(1+1/n)~log(n)+1/n.

Last edited:
I see!
Thanks BohRok..
I don't know how to do the physics way, i haven't learned that yet. I am just a freshman in college.
So derivative of ln(ln x/ln(x+1)... how do you do that lol.

d/dx ln(f(x)) = f'(x)/f(x), then let f(x) = ln x/ln(x+1). Be careful when using the quotient rule to find f'(x)!

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is often used to describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value or infinity.

2. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, and rationalizing. You can also use the limit laws, which state that the limit of a sum, difference, product, or quotient of two functions is equal to the sum, difference, product, or quotient of their individual limits.

3. What is the importance of limits in calculus?

Limits are crucial in calculus because they are used to define important concepts such as continuity, derivatives, and integrals. They also help us understand the behavior of functions and their rates of change, which are important in real-world applications.

4. Can limits have more than one value?

No, limits can only have one value. This is because a limit represents the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. If a limit had more than one value, the function would not have a well-defined behavior at that point.

5. What are some common mistakes when finding limits?

Some common mistakes when finding limits include forgetting to check for potential discontinuities, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, and confusing the limit of a function with the value of the function at that point. It is important to carefully analyze the function and the limit laws to avoid these errors.