Can we ever escape the pull of a black hole's singularity?

In summary, space is curved in a way that allows for only certain paths to lead to the singularity, and all matter and energy must follow paths that are either lightlike or spacelike.
dipole
I'm taking general relativity and I understand how things work mathematically, but I'm trying to find ways of describing black holes to a general audience.

Would it be fair to say that inside a black hole, space is curved in such a way that all possible paths lead to the singularity? Or, put another way, no matter what direction you try to move in the black hole you will always be moving toward the singularity and hence you can not avoid colliding with it.

I know its difficult to put these sort of things into words but I'm just looking for something the average joe who doesn't understand physics can appreciate. Does the above sound reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good to me. Is the audience you're talking to aware of space-time? If so you could enhance the idea by describing how the path of an object through the time dimension always leads to the singularity. Same idea, but I find it can help when people don't get why you can't just go the exact other way.

Vorde said:
Sounds good to me. Is the audience you're talking to aware of space-time? If so you could enhance the idea by describing how the path of an object through the time dimension always leads to the singularity. Same idea, but I find it can help when people don't get why you can't just go the exact other way.

To second this point, note that spacelike paths need not lead to the singularity. Then you note that all matter/energy must follow timelike or lightlike paths (travel locally less than or equal to speed of light). All of these paths reach the singularity.

It is also useful to note that even a 'moment' before reaching the singularity, it is still possible (for a body) to move in any spatial direction (at least a small amount). But all these directions of spatial motion are still approaching the singularity - in the precise sense that whatever direction you move, your time to reaching the singularity is always decreasing along any path you choose. [Edit: It is actually possible to be on a path where you would reach the singularity in e.g. 1 second, and change to a path such that it takes you, e.g. 1.5 seconds to reach the singularity.]

Last edited:

1. What is the geometry inside a black hole?

The geometry inside a black hole is described by the theory of general relativity, which predicts that space and time are distorted in the presence of massive objects. This distortion is known as spacetime curvature, and it becomes infinitely strong at the singularity of a black hole.

2. Can we observe the geometry inside a black hole?

No, we cannot directly observe the geometry inside a black hole because the intense gravitational pull prevents anything, including light, from escaping. However, we can make predictions about the geometry using mathematical models and observations of the effects of the black hole on its surroundings.

3. How does the geometry inside a black hole affect time?

The intense spacetime curvature inside a black hole causes time to slow down. This means that time passes more slowly for an observer near the event horizon compared to an external observer. As the observer approaches the singularity, time appears to slow down even more until it reaches the point of infinite curvature where time stops.

4. Is the geometry inside a black hole the same for all black holes?

Yes, according to the theory of general relativity, the geometry inside a black hole is the same regardless of its mass or size. The only factor that affects the geometry is the mass of the black hole, which determines the size of the event horizon and the strength of the spacetime curvature.

5. Can the geometry inside a black hole be described using Euclidean geometry?

No, the geometry inside a black hole cannot be described using Euclidean geometry, which is the geometry used to describe the properties of flat surfaces. The intense spacetime curvature inside a black hole means that the rules of Euclidean geometry do not apply, and a different mathematical framework, such as Riemannian geometry, is needed to accurately describe the geometry inside a black hole.