Statics Allowable load problem.

In summary, a statics allowable load problem is an engineering problem that involves determining the maximum load a structure can withstand without failing. To approach these problems, one must carefully analyze the structure and its forces, and make certain assumptions about its equilibrium and material properties. Safety and reliability factors are also taken into consideration to prevent failures. These types of problems have real-life applications in structural and mechanical engineering industries.
kimann020

Homework Statement

Determine allowable load on steel tube

L= 14 in
A= 11 in ^2
Es= 30 x10^6
θ=24,000 psi
δ= .008

Homework Equations

δ=PL/EA
θ=P/A

The Attempt at a Solution

.008=P(14 in)/(30 x 10^6)(11 in)^2

P=188571.4 lb

θ=P/A
24,000 psi=P/11 in^2

P=264,000?

My teach is telling me that the answer is P=2181.8 lbs i don't understand how or what i did wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand either if the load is axial tensile. Is it?

1. What is a statics allowable load problem?

A statics allowable load problem is a type of engineering problem that involves determining the maximum amount of weight or force that can be applied to a structure without causing it to fail or collapse. It takes into account factors such as the material properties of the structure, its shape and size, and external forces acting on it.

2. How do you approach solving a statics allowable load problem?

The first step in solving a statics allowable load problem is to carefully analyze the structure and identify all the forces acting on it. This includes both external forces, such as gravity and wind, and internal forces, such as tension and compression. Then, using principles of statics and knowledge of material properties, you can calculate the maximum load that the structure can withstand.

3. What are some common assumptions made in solving a statics allowable load problem?

One common assumption is that the structure is in a state of equilibrium, meaning that all the forces acting on it are balanced. Another assumption is that the material properties of the structure are uniform and that the structure is free from any defects or imperfections.

4. How do factors such as safety and reliability come into play in a statics allowable load problem?

When determining the maximum allowable load for a structure, it is important to consider factors such as safety and reliability. This means taking into account potential sources of error or uncertainty in the calculations and adding a safety factor to ensure that the structure can withstand loads beyond the calculated maximum. This helps to prevent failures and ensure the longevity of the structure.

5. What are some real-life applications of statics allowable load problems?

Statics allowable load problems are commonly used in structural engineering, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering to design and analyze various structures such as bridges, buildings, and machines. They are also used in industries such as aerospace and manufacturing to ensure the safety and reliability of products and structures.