This shows that the parallelogram law holds for complex numbers.

In summary, The "Parallellogram law" states that in complex numbers, the sum of the squares of the magnitudes of two complex numbers is equal to twice the sum of the squares of their individual magnitudes. This can be proven using both vector methods and complex number notation.
Kahsi
Hi :smile:

I just started to look at complex numbers.

Prove the ``Parallellogram law''
http://www.sosmath.com/complex/number/complexplane/img4.gif

This is how I solved it:

[tex]z=a+bi[/tex]
[tex]w=c+di[/tex]

[tex]|z+w|^2=\sqrt{(a+c)^2+(b+d)^2}=a^2+2ac+c^2+b^2+2bd+d^2[/tex]

then we have

[tex]|z-w|^2=\sqrt{(a-c)^2+(b-d)^2}=a^2-2ac+c^2+b^2-2bd+d^2[/tex]

[tex]2(|z|^2+|w|^2)=2((a^2+b^2)+(c^2+d^2)) = 2a^2+2b^2+2c^2+2d^2[/tex]

[tex]a^2+2ac+c^2+b^2+2bd+d^2+a^2-2ac+c^2+b^2-2bd+d^2=2a^2+2b^2+2c^2+2d^2[/tex]

My question is:

Was my calculation OK or was it a misscalculation (a lucky one which prooved the formula)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Those 2 radicals should be squared.Or should be absent altogether.

The rest is okay.

Daniel.

Oh...That was a typo :blushing:

Thank you dextercioby :cool:

vector methods are nice too. i.e. |z+w|^2 = (z+w).(z+w), (dot product),

and |z-w|^2 = (z-w).(z-w).

Expanding and adding, the cross terms cancel, leaving

z.z + w.w + z.z + w.w = 2(|z|^2 + |w|^2).

you can do this with complex numbers notation too, no vectors. i.e. let zbar be the conjugate of the complex number z. Then |z|^2 = z(zbar).

Hence |z+w|^2 = (z+w)([z+w]bar). But bar commutes with sums and products, so this equals

(z+w)(zbar + wbar) = z(zbar) + w(wbar) + wzbar + zwbar.

Similarly |z-w|^2 = z(zbar) + w(wbar) - wzbar - zwbar.

so the sum is 2 (z[zbar] + w[wbar]) = 2 (|z|^2 + |w|^2).

Last edited:

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter i, which stands for the square root of -1. Complex numbers are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (4 + 5i) = (3 + 4) + (2i + 5i) = 7 + 7i. Likewise, (3 + 2i) - (4 + 5i) = (3 - 4) + (2i - 5i) = -1 - 3i.

3. What is the difference between a complex number and a real number?

A real number only has a real part, while a complex number has both a real part and an imaginary part. Real numbers are written on the number line, while complex numbers are written on the complex plane.

4. How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like you would with binomials. FOIL stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. For example, (3 + 2i)(4 + 5i) = 3(4) + 3(5i) + 2i(4) + 2i(5i) = 12 + 15i + 8i + 10i^2 = 12 + 23i - 10 = 2 + 23i.

5. Can you prove the existence of complex numbers?

Yes, the existence of complex numbers can be proven using the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that every polynomial equation of degree n has n complex roots. This means that there must be complex numbers in order to solve certain equations that have no real solutions.