Potential Doomsday: Consequences and Impact

In summary, some people are saying that if the magnetic field flips, thousands of people will die, and the magnetic field has been flipping many times in the past. It is uncertain when this will happen again, but it is definitely something to worry about.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So is it going to happen? what will be the consequences if it does
happen, will we suffer a multi pole magnetic field for hundreds of years?
some say that cancer will increase at the multi poles and that thousands
of people will die as a result, so who cares about global warming if
a new doomsday is around the corner?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It will undoubtably happen. Paleomagnetic evidence shows it has happened many many times in the past, and we have no reason to assume it will stop soon. The question is when, and as far as I know, the answer is we are not exactly certain. Evidence from palaeomagnatism in old lava flows in the US does point to a long period of weakened magnetic field with poles wandering rapidly. Measurements from a particular lava flow showed that (assuming we have the rate of cooling correct) the poles could shift by about 6 degrees a day.

I can't provide any sources for the lava flows in the US I'm afraid, as I learned this on a TV program a while back. If there are any inaccuracies in my facts, I apologise.

Well, this article is very informative about the recent Earth magnetic behaviour.

A few remarks.

A decline in magnetic field may just be either a temporarely deviation, or the start of a magnetic excursion and does not necesary lead to a flip of the field and a new "chron".

There is no definite trend in flips. The last 25 million years, the average period between flips has been several 100,000 years but there have been "superchrons":

Between 118 and 83 million years ago (Ma) (the Cretaceous superchron), the field maintained constant normal polarity, and it remained reversed from 312 to 262 Ma ...

http://hypertextbook.com/physics/electricity/geomagnetism/

Last edited by a moderator:
When was the last flip?

779,000 years ago, The change form the Matuyama chron to the current Brunhes cron.

Interesting article Andre, but other than disrupting navigation and
letting in more harmful radiation, what consequences could be
suffered ?

Navigation is not going to be disrupted anymore with GPS, inertial navigation system, Decca, etc. Even homing pigeons seem to be cheating, not using the Earth magnetic field.

As I already linked here, presently there is no suggestion of climate related to the Earth magnetic field. Remains possible harmfull radiation, however paleonthologic evidence suggest no relationship between mass extinctions and magnetic anomalies. So, all in all, we may just survive without a scratch.

Andre said:
So, all in all, we may just survive without a scratch.
I think an increase in cancer cases is not unreasonable to expect though. Skin cancer especially I think.

1. What is a potential doomsday scenario?

A potential doomsday scenario refers to a hypothetical situation in which an event, such as a natural disaster or human-made catastrophe, causes a widespread and catastrophic collapse of human civilization. It is often associated with an apocalyptic or end-of-the-world scenario.

2. What are the potential consequences of a doomsday event?

The consequences of a doomsday event can vary depending on the nature of the event, but some potential consequences may include mass extinction, destruction of infrastructure and resources, displacement of populations, and collapse of societal structures. These consequences could have long-term impacts on the survival and well-being of human beings.

3. What factors contribute to the likelihood of a doomsday event?

There are many factors that could contribute to the likelihood of a doomsday event, including natural disasters, climate change, nuclear war, pandemics, and technological disasters. These events may be caused by human actions, such as environmental degradation and geopolitical tensions, or they may occur naturally.

4. How can we prepare for a potential doomsday event?

There are various ways to prepare for a potential doomsday event, including building resilient infrastructure, creating emergency plans and procedures, stockpiling supplies, and developing sustainable and self-sufficient communities. It is also important to address the root causes of potential doomsday scenarios, such as addressing climate change and promoting peace and cooperation.

5. What can be done to prevent a doomsday event from happening?

Preventing a doomsday event requires taking proactive measures to address the root causes of these potential scenarios. This may include mitigating the effects of climate change, reducing the risk of nuclear war, investing in disaster preparedness and response, and promoting international cooperation. It also requires individuals to take responsibility for their actions and make changes to promote a more sustainable and peaceful world.