AFB & Asymmetry Charge: Understand the Link

• Thread starter Josereyes2201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asymmetry
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the AFB (forward/backward asymmetry) and the asymmetry charge in collider experiments. While the concept of AFB is intended to probe differences between left and right handed fermions, it is difficult to understand how it provides information that charge asymmetry measurements do not. The conversation also mentions the technical nature of the topic and expresses hope for someone to provide further clarification.
Josereyes2201
My question is:

What is the relation between the AFB and the asymmetry charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
Josereyes2201 said:
My question is:

What is the relation between the AFB and the asymmetry charge?

Probably you mean forward/backward vs charge asymmetry? As in what is discussed here?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetry#In_collider_experiments

Actually I do not have a great appreciation of this. The wikipedia page seems to suggest that a forward-backward asymmetry is intended to probe the differences between left and right handed fermions, however since the only way to have left handed particles in one beam and right handed in another beam is to use particle/antiparticle pairs (i.e. electron/positron like LEP, or proton/antiproton like the Tevatron) then I have a hard time understanding what information it gives you that charge asymmetry measurements do not. The wikipedia page does mention some things but I still don't really get it. It is pretty technical I think.

Perhaps someone will come along and educate us both :)

Err, except that stuff I said about particles and antiparticles having opposite handedness is total crap because of course the left and right handed parts mix.

1. What is AFB and asymmetry charge?

AFB stands for Asymmetry Forward-Backward and refers to the difference in particle production between the forward and backward directions in a collision. Asymmetry charge is a measure of the asymmetry in the distribution of positive and negative charges in a particle's decay products.

2. What is the link between AFB and asymmetry charge?

The link between AFB and asymmetry charge is that they both provide information about the symmetry or asymmetry of a particle's decay products. AFB measures the asymmetry in particle production, while asymmetry charge measures the asymmetry in charge distribution within the particles.

3. How is AFB and asymmetry charge measured?

AFB is typically measured by analyzing the angles at which particles are produced in a collision. Asymmetry charge is measured by looking at the charge distribution of particles' decay products.

4. Why is understanding the link between AFB and asymmetry charge important?

Understanding the link between AFB and asymmetry charge is important because it allows us to gain a more complete understanding of the behavior of particles and their interactions. It can also provide information about the underlying symmetries of the universe.

5. How can the study of AFB and asymmetry charge contribute to scientific research?

The study of AFB and asymmetry charge can contribute to scientific research by helping us to better understand the fundamental forces and particles of the universe. It can also provide insights into the structure and behavior of matter and energy, and potentially lead to the development of new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the universe.