Insulating charged sphere in conducting shell and electric field

In summary, the problem involves a solid sphere with a net uniform charge and a spherical conducting shell with a net charge that is the opposite of the sphere's. The goal is to find the electric field between the sphere and the shell at a specific radius. The equation used in the conversation is incorrect and instead, Gauss' Law with the enclosed charge should be used. The individual's initial approach of using the charge density was overthinking the problem.
kyle9316
1. A solid sphere of radius a = 12.8 cm is concentric with a spherical conducting shell of inner radius b = 37.1 cm and outer radius c = 39.1 cm. The sphere has a net uniform charge q1 = 9.00×10-6 C. The shell has a net charge q2 = -q1. Find expressions for the electric field, as a function of the radius r, between the sphere and the shell (a < r < b). Evaluate for r = 25.0 cm.

2. ∫E.dA = Q/ε0
ρ = Q/Volume

3. OK, so I have the charge density of the insulting sphere, which I'm calling ρ. My Gaussian surface is a sphere, so it's area in this case would be 4∏(0.25m)^2
I know how to find the electric field inside of the insulating sphere, but not between the insulating sphere and the conducting shell, which is what this problem is asking for. I tried ignoring the conducting shell and just using the equation:
E = (ρa^2)/(3ε0r^2)
It's telling me that the answer is wrong. What am I doing wrong? I assume it has something to do with the charge on the inner surface of the conducting shell, but I don't know what to do with that.

Physics news on Phys.org
kyle9316 said:
1. A solid sphere of radius a = 12.8 cm is concentric with a spherical conducting shell of inner radius b = 37.1 cm and outer radius c = 39.1 cm. The sphere has a net uniform charge q1 = 9.00×10-6 C. The shell has a net charge q2 = -q1. Find expressions for the electric field, as a function of the radius r, between the sphere and the shell (a < r < b). Evaluate for r = 25.0 cm. 2. ∫E.dA = Q/ε0
ρ = Q/Volume
3. OK, so I have the charge density of the insulting sphere, which I'm calling ρ. My Gaussian surface is a sphere, so it's area in this case would be 4∏(0.25m)^2
I know how to find the electric field inside of the insulating sphere, but not between the insulating sphere and the conducting shell, which is what this problem is asking for. I tried ignoring the conducting shell and just using the equation:
E = (ρa^2)/(3ε0r^2)
It's telling me that the answer is wrong. What am I doing wrong? I assume it has something to do with the charge on the inner surface of the conducting shell, but I don't know what to do with that.

Hi Kyle,welcome to PF.

The equation in red is wrong. Why do you use the charge density instead of Gauss Law with the enclosed charge q1=9.00×10-6 C?

ehild

Thanks! I guess I was overthinking. Instead of using the whole Q = (4/3)πr^2*ρ, I just had to use the charge given to me.

What is an insulating charged sphere in a conducting shell?

An insulating charged sphere in a conducting shell is a setup in which a charged sphere is placed inside a larger, hollow, conductive sphere. The inner sphere is typically made of a non-conductive material, such as plastic, while the outer sphere is made of a conductive material, such as metal.

How does an electric field affect an insulating charged sphere in a conducting shell?

The electric field will cause the charges on the inner sphere to redistribute, with more charges accumulating on one side of the sphere. This redistribution occurs due to the conductive shell acting as a Faraday cage, shielding the inner sphere from the external electric field.

What is the purpose of insulating a charged sphere in a conducting shell?

The purpose of this setup is to reduce the effect of an external electric field on the charged sphere. By placing the charged sphere inside the conducting shell, the electric field lines are redirected and concentrated on the outer surface of the shell, minimizing their impact on the inner sphere.

What is the difference between an insulating charged sphere in a conducting shell and a Faraday cage?

While both setups use conductive materials to shield against external electric fields, a Faraday cage is usually a complete enclosure, while an insulating charged sphere in a conducting shell only has a conductive outer surface. Additionally, a Faraday cage can also protect against electromagnetic radiation, while the insulating sphere setup only protects against electric fields.

How can I calculate the electric potential and electric field inside an insulating charged sphere in a conducting shell?

The electric potential and electric field can be calculated using the equations for a charged sphere and a conducting shell, taking into account the redistribution of charges due to the presence of the shell. Alternatively, numerical methods such as finite element analysis can be used to simulate the electric field distribution inside the setup.