Laminar Flow Hood: Contamination Issues

• Thread starter Goodie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues
In summary, the laminar flow hood should be on anytime you work and the blowers should be turned on 15 minutes before and after work. The UV light should stay on for the 15 minute warm up and cool down time.
Goodie
# About the laminar flow hood; when should i turn off the blowers which circulate the air? After the work or should it be on all the time? Can i have it on at the same time with the UV light? :frown:

Biology news on Phys.org
You should have the hood on anytime you work and we usually let the air circulate for about 15 minutes before starting to work in the hood and after working it the hood. This allows the contaminant to circulate and to be trapped in the filter. So the air in the hood is pratically sterile.

You can leave the UV on when the air is not circulationg. You should have the UV light on for the 15 minutes warmed and cool down time.

do not rely on the UV light to make a the surface of the hood sterile. You should always clean the hood with a sterilizer (ex: 75% alcohol) before and after you use the hood.

I get different answers in this issue which makes me confused. :confused:

So again, should i leave the UV light 24/7 when i don't work?

Should i turn the blowers off when i have the UV light on?

Should i have the blowers on when i work?

Should i turn the blowers off when i don't work?

Thanks for any inputs which clare my mind.

Goodie said:
So again, should i leave the UV light 24/7 when i don't work?

You do not have to leave the UV light 24/7 when you do not work. However, it is often suggested that the UV light stays on when you do not work. It is up to you. We only turn the UV light 15-20 minutes before and after our work.

Goodie said:
Should i turn the blowers off when i have the UV light on?

Should i have the blowers on when i work?

Should i turn the blowers off when i don't work?

The blower needs to be on whenever you work inside the vertical laminar flow hood. The blower should be turn on 15 minutes before and after you work inside the hood. It blower should be off when you do not work it hood. The blower may or may not when the UV light are on.

The blower creates a laminar flow of air, which acts like a wall so that nothing can come in and nothing can come out. Your hands will go through the laminar flow, make sure that you don't work too close to the front of the hood: this will disturb the laminar flow.

Are you a student doing a research project, or are you doing course work? Communication with your advisor or supervisor is very important. Are you not getting a proper introduction from them? Don't be afraid to ask them many questions when they explain things.

1. What is a laminar flow hood and how does it work?

A laminar flow hood is a piece of laboratory equipment used to create a sterile working environment by directing filtered air in a uniform, downward flow. The hood works by drawing in air from the surrounding room, filtering it through a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter, and then blowing it out in a laminar flow pattern. This creates a barrier between the work surface and the surrounding environment, reducing the risk of contamination.

2. What are the main sources of contamination in a laminar flow hood?

The main sources of contamination in a laminar flow hood are the surrounding environment, the operator, and the materials being used. Airborne particles, such as dust and microorganisms, can enter the hood through gaps in the seals or when the hood is opened. The operator's clothing, hair, and skin can also introduce contaminants, as well as the materials being used, such as culture plates or instruments.

3. How can I prevent contamination in my laminar flow hood?

To prevent contamination in a laminar flow hood, it is important to properly clean and maintain the hood, as well as follow good aseptic techniques. This includes regularly disinfecting the hood and work surface, wearing appropriate protective clothing, and minimizing movement and talking in the hood's vicinity. It is also important to work quickly and efficiently to reduce the amount of time the hood is open.

4. What should I do if I suspect contamination in my laminar flow hood?

If you suspect contamination in your laminar flow hood, stop working immediately and assess the situation. Check for any visible signs of contamination, such as discoloration or growth on the work surface or materials. If contamination is present, disinfect the hood and surrounding area thoroughly before resuming work. It may also be necessary to replace any contaminated materials and re-clean the hood more thoroughly.

5. How often should I replace the HEPA filter in my laminar flow hood?

The frequency of HEPA filter replacement depends on the type of hood and how often it is used. In general, the filter should be replaced every 6-12 months or when the airflow starts to decrease significantly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for filter replacement and to regularly monitor the airflow to ensure the hood is functioning properly.