Physics Major Struggling with Math Proofs

In summary, the person was once a math major but switched to physics because they did not enjoy proofs. However, they have since found an interest in proofs through linear algebra and number theory. They ask for opinions on the importance of proofs in physics and it is suggested that they are an essential part. It is also mentioned that engineers do not focus on proofs as much. The person shares their own experience with slowly starting to like proofs in calculus. They advise using logic when attempting proofs.
puddlejumper524
hello everyone.

i was once a math major until i got a bit taste of what upper div math is like. proofs! can't say that i like it at all. i guess I am the type of guys who can't do proofs whatsoever. currently taking linear algebra, struggling a bit.

so sometime ago, i changed my major to physics, which is really interesting, like when i was taking calculus. but i read the threads on the board and realized that a lot of people seem to suggest that a physics major should be able to do math proofs as well, and it is essential. i would like your opinion on that becaz if that were true, i am screwed :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible that you will grow to like the taste of proofs.

Physicists range from experimentalists who do not spend any time doing proofs to theoretical physicists who sometimes make contributions to pure math. I would say that proofs are an important part of physics.

If you can't get into proving things, become an engineer. They use math for its own sake, and so they don't care where it comes from.

I agree with Crosson.. I remember a few years ago in geometry when I was still somewhat immature and I hated proofs. Now I have gotten to like them a little. I still am not quite used to them (haven't had much chance to use them from disuse) but they are growing on me.

Actually, it was linear algebra and number theory that got me to first starting to like proofs. They were intellectually challenging (if not outright difficult in some situations) and are a lot more gratifying than the standard plug-n-chug problems.

Now that I'm in calculus, I still can't quite understand all of the proofs yet, but I'm slowly trying to grasp them (its a slow process and can't expect it to come quickly or naturally).

Just use your logic when attempting the proofs, everything should be fine.

1. Why is it important for a physics major to be proficient in math proofs?

Math proofs are an essential part of understanding and applying the principles of physics. They provide a rigorous and logical framework for solving complex problems and deriving equations. Without a strong foundation in math proofs, it can be difficult for a physics major to fully grasp and apply the concepts of physics.

2. What are some common challenges that physics majors face when learning math proofs?

Many physics majors struggle with math proofs because they require a different way of thinking and approaching problems compared to traditional math courses. They also tend to be more abstract and require a high level of logical reasoning and critical thinking.

3. How can a physics major improve their skills in math proofs?

Practice and persistence are key in improving skills in math proofs. It is important to regularly work on challenging problems and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. It can also be helpful to review fundamental math concepts and brush up on algebra, trigonometry, and calculus.

4. Are there any resources available to help physics majors with math proofs?

Yes, there are many resources available for physics majors struggling with math proofs. Many universities offer tutoring services, study groups, and workshops specifically for math proofs. There are also online resources, such as video lectures and practice problems, that can be helpful in improving skills.

5. Can a physics major still be successful even if they struggle with math proofs?

Yes, it is possible for a physics major to be successful even if they struggle with math proofs. While math proofs are important in understanding and applying physics principles, they are not the only factor in determining one's success. With determination, hard work, and seeking help when needed, a physics major can still excel in their field.