Quark-Lepton Symmetry: What Happens When Particles Annihilate?

In summary, the conservation of baryon and lepton numbers means that particles like quarks and leptons are considered "basic" and cannot be interchanged. When one of these particles is annihilated, the resulting energy can potentially be used to create the other type of particle, but additional particles may also carry away the baryon or lepton properties. In theories that attempt to unify the strong and electroweak forces, there may be a new symmetry that allows for interconversion between these particles, potentially leading to processes like spontaneous proton decay. However, this has not been experimentally observed and may require additional explanations to prevent particles from decaying too quickly.
mes314159
If I understand correctly, conservation of baryon and lepton numbers imply that quarks and leptons are "basic" i.e. non-interchangeable particles? What happens when one such particle is annihilated, can the energy produced be used to "generate" the other type, or do some additional particles always "carry away" the baryonness or leptonness? In a grand unification of the strong and electroweak forces, would it not require a new symmetry that does allow these particles to interconvert, i.e. a failure of conservation of those numbers? Is that the presumed mode of a spontaneous proton decay, the thing everyone has looked for unsuccessfully so far?

If this topic has been discussed previously please direct me to the relevant post. I tried a text search but could not find something exactly appropriate. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Annihilation is the result of a particle meeting its antiparticle, so the net number is unchanged. The result is typical a pair of photons, which could then become something else, still preserving the count.

Of course, that makes perfect sense. I wasn't thinking mechanistically enough about the process. What about lepton/quark symmetry and interconversion, are these implicit in strong/electroweak unification theories?

Mark

mes314159 said:
Of course, that makes perfect sense. I wasn't thinking mechanistically enough about the process. What about lepton/quark symmetry and interconversion, are these implicit in strong/electroweak unification theories?

Mark

Such processes are theoretically possible non-perturbatively even in the Standard Model, but only at extreme high energies, and have not been experimentally observed I believe. But yeah GUT models usually have such processes, and it can be a problem that they occur too easily, so that some extra reason may be needed to forbid them so that, as you say, protons don't decay too fast.

Likes 1 person
the process particle anti-particle have not any quantum number (total color or lepton...these are zero in the initial state), therefore the initial state can becomes through some process in another two particles, which in principle can be different in color, lepton quantum numbers. The only condition is that the final two or three ...final state also have not any quantum number.

1. What is quark-lepton symmetry?

Quark-lepton symmetry is a theoretical concept in particle physics that suggests that quarks and leptons, the two main types of elementary particles, are actually two different manifestations of the same underlying particle. This means that under certain conditions, they can transform into each other and exhibit similar properties.

2. How do particles annihilate?

Particles can annihilate when they come into contact with their respective antiparticles. This process involves the conversion of the particles' mass into energy, according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. The resulting energy is often released in the form of gamma rays or other high-energy particles.

3. What happens during annihilation?

During annihilation, the particles and antiparticles completely disappear and their masses are converted into energy. This energy can then be used to create new particles or produce other forms of energy. The exact products of annihilation depend on the types of particles involved.

4. What evidence is there for quark-lepton symmetry?

One of the strongest pieces of evidence for quark-lepton symmetry is the phenomenon of neutrino oscillations. This is where neutrinos, a type of lepton, can change into different flavors as they travel through space. This behavior is similar to that of quarks, which can also change into different types.

5. How does quark-lepton symmetry affect the universe?

Quark-lepton symmetry is believed to have played a significant role in the early universe, as it helped to maintain balance between matter and antimatter. If the symmetry were exact, the universe would have equal amounts of matter and antimatter, which would eventually annihilate and leave behind only energy. However, the fact that we observe a universe dominated by matter suggests that there is a slight asymmetry in the behavior of quarks and leptons, allowing some matter to survive the annihilation process.