Wavelength/frequency & it's effect on optical properties

In summary, There is no single equation that governs all types of electromagnetic rays and materials in terms of their optical properties. The response to an EM field varies in different materials and frequencies. However, the underlying property at the root of this is the dielectric constant, \epsilon(\omega). Some recommended literature on this topic includes "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson and "Feynman's Lectures" by Feynman, Leighton, and Sands. Additionally, engineering texts such as "Electrodynamics of Solids" by Dressel and Gruner may also be helpful.
NSX
Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this is in the correct topic, so please move to a correct one if need be.

Are there any mathematical relationships between the wavelength or frequency of an electromagnetic ray and the optical properties of a material?

By optical properties, I mean the scattering coefficient ([itex]\mu_s[/itex]), absorption coefficient ([itex]\mu_a[/itex]), and anisotropy factor (g).

i.e. [tex]f(\lambda or f) = stuff and \mu_s[/tex], etc.

Preferably, there would be only one equation, which governs all types of emr's and materials, but I don't know if there is such thing.

If not, literature pointing to similar things would be great too!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither is there one equation for all types of materials nor usually, for all frequencies.

The response to an EM field is different in gases, solid dielectrics and metals (not to say anything about glasses, molecular solids, liquid crystals, plasmas, etc.) And even for a metal, the low frequency behavior is quite different from the high frequency limit. This is not to say that there isn't a single underlying property that is at the root of this. There is - it is the dielectric constant, [itex]\epsilon(\omega)[/itex].

As to literature, here are a couple that come to mind :

Classical Electrodynamics, Jackson
Feynman's Lectures (-Vol. 2, I think), Feynman, Leighton, Sands

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Neither is there one equation for all types of materials nor usually, for all frequencies.

The response to an EM field is different in gases, solid dielectrics and metals (not to say anything about glasses, molecular solids, liquid crystals, plasmas, etc.) And even for a metal, the low frequency behavior is quite different from the high frequency limit. This is not to say that there isn't a single underlying property that is at the root of this. There is - it is the dielectric constant, [itex]\epsilon(\omega)[/itex].

As to literature, here are a couple that come to mind :

Classical Electrodynamics, Jackson
Feynman's Lectures (-Vol. 2, I think), Feynman, Leighton, Sands

ah, thanks Gokul43201!

I was getting the idea that there is no underlying equation, because the papers I've read dealt with different materials, and also had different equations to find out such coefficients.

I will check out the Feynman Lecture as you suggested.

:smile:

Some engineering texts on this will be helpful. Try this. It's graduate level but
gets down to brass tacks quickly.

http://www.elx.com.au/item/0471621943

Last edited by a moderator:
THis is a good book too - "Electrodynamics of solids" - Dressel & Gruner, Camb. Univ. Press

1. How does wavelength affect the color of light?

Wavelength is directly related to the color of light. Different wavelengths of visible light correspond to different colors, with shorter wavelengths appearing as blue or violet and longer wavelengths appearing as red or orange. The visible spectrum ranges from approximately 400-700 nanometers.

2. What is the relationship between frequency and energy of light?

The frequency of light is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as frequency increases, so does the energy of the light. This relationship is described by the equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

3. How does wavelength affect the refraction of light?

The wavelength of light plays a role in the refraction of light. When light passes through a medium, its speed changes depending on the wavelength. This causes the light to bend at different angles, resulting in the separation of colors in a prism or the distortion of objects viewed through a lens.

4. Can wavelength affect the intensity of light?

Yes, the wavelength of light can affect its intensity. Wavelengths in the visible spectrum are perceived by the human eye as different levels of brightness, with shorter wavelengths appearing brighter than longer wavelengths. Additionally, certain materials or filters can absorb or transmit specific wavelengths, altering the overall intensity of light.

5. How does frequency affect the behavior of light in different media?

Frequency plays a role in determining how light behaves in different media. When light travels through a medium, its speed and direction of travel can be affected by the medium's properties, such as density and refractive index. Different frequencies of light can also interact with materials in different ways, such as being absorbed or reflected at specific frequencies.