Can't seem to match final answer

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving titration of a 0.958 mol dm-3 solution of H2SO4 with a 0.735 mol dm-3 solution of KOH. The question is asking for the volume of KOH required to reach the equivalence point. The options given are 7.0 ml, 10.9 ml, 13.0 ml, 17.5 ml, and 26.1 ml, with the correct answer believed to be 13.0 ml. However, the person asking the question is getting a different answer of 52 ml. They suggest double checking the problem statement for any errors and consulting with a "live face" for clarification.
laker_gurl3
Can't seem to match final answer!

If 20.00 ml of a 0.958 mol dm-3 solution of H2SO4 is titrated with a 0.735 mol dm-3 solution of KOH, what volume is required to reach the equivalence point?
(a) 7.0 ml
(b) 10.9 ml
(c) 13.0 ml
(d) 17.5 ml
(e) 26.1 ml.
The answer is said to be C. but when i do it, with the correct ratios of 1:2, i keep getting a final of 52ml.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, I believe C is right.

A problem statement that does not specify which "equivalence point" for polyprotic acids does not inspire confidence in text, instructor, or teaching assistants. That said, you're going to have to take it to a "live face" rather than the computer. You'll want to double check the problem statement for "dyslexing" of acid, base, volumes, and concentrations. Grad students are lazy, have always been, and always will be regarding the "freshening" of problem sets to defeat frat files --- this looks to be the case here.

You are correct for what you've posted as a problem statement and a "complete" neutralization.

1. Why can't I seem to match the final answer in my experiment?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to human error, equipment malfunction, or an incorrect calculation. It is important to carefully review your methods and calculations to determine the cause.

2. What should I do if my final answer does not match my hypothesis?

First, take a step back and review your experimental design and methods. Check for any potential errors or biases that may have affected your results. If you are confident in your methods, consider discussing your findings with colleagues or conducting further research to confirm or refute your hypothesis.

3. How can I ensure that my final answer is accurate?

To ensure accuracy in your experiment, it is important to carefully follow your experimental design and methods. Use reliable equipment and materials, and perform multiple trials to reduce the impact of any outliers. It can also be helpful to have your work reviewed by colleagues or a mentor.

4. What if my final answer is significantly different from previous studies?

This could indicate a potential flaw in your experimental design or methods. Consider reviewing your procedures and results to determine the cause of the discrepancy. It may also be helpful to discuss your findings with colleagues or conduct further research to confirm your results.

5. Can I still publish my results if my final answer does not match my hypothesis?

Yes, it is still possible to publish your results even if they do not align with your initial hypothesis. In fact, unexpected or contradictory findings can often lead to new discoveries and further research. It is important to accurately report your methods and results, and to discuss any potential limitations or alternative explanations for your findings.