Tennis player hits the ball velocity help

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculations and formulas related to the horizontal force and velocity of a tennis ball during a serve. The ball leaves the racket at a velocity of 40 m/s and is affected by air resistance, resulting in a deceleration of -50m/s^2. The ball's horizontal velocity when it hits the ground on the other side of the net, at a distance of 12m from the server, is 20m/s.
Chocolaty
I answered the questions and I think i have them right, this is new stuff though so I just want to make sure i understand everything, if someone could confirm it would put a smile on my face like this -> :smile:

During a serve, a tennis player hits the ball horizontally with a force of 500 N, without putting a spin on it. The 100g ball leaves the racket at a velocity of 40 m/s

a) calculate the time during which the ball was in contact with the player's racket

So i use the impulse formula:
Force * Time = Mass * delta velocity
500 * t = 0.1(kg) * 40
t = 0.008s

b) During its displacement, the ball slows down due to the effect of air resistance. Assuming that the frictional force of 5 N is constant, calculate the ball's average horizontal deceleration in the first second of its flight.

Here i'll find the difference between the initial acceleration and the one after 1 second:
Force = Mass * Acceleration
500 = 0.1 * a
a = 5000m/s^2

Fnet = Fa - Ff = ma
500 - 5 = 0.1 * a
a = 4950m/s^2

So the horizontal deceleration is -50m/s^2

c) Calculate the ball's horizontal velocity when it hits the ground, on the other side of the net, at a distance of 12m from the server.

(Delta V)^2 = 2ad
V2^2 - 1600 = 2 * -50 * 12
V2 = sqr(400) = 20m/s

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
a) correct

b) NO NO NO.

The question is asking for the acceleration during the first second of flight. This implies after it has left the racket. The 500 N has done it's work. Now, only the air resistance (and gravity) is on the ball. The question is assuming (erroneously, I think) that during the first second, there will be negligent vertical motion (or are you doing calculus based physics?), so the horizontal accelration will be due to the air resistance force alone.(net force is 5 N).

you did get the right answer, but not for the right reason.

c) this is correct, but notice that (delta v)^2 is NOT the same as (vf^2 - vi^2).

for your confirmation!

I can confirm that your calculations and understanding of the concepts are correct. Well done! It's always important to double check and make sure you understand new material, so it's great that you took the time to do so. Keep up the good work!

What is the average velocity of a tennis ball when hit by a player?

The average velocity of a tennis ball when hit by a player can vary depending on the player's strength and technique. However, on average, a professional tennis player can hit a ball at speeds between 80-100 miles per hour.

How does a tennis player's swing affect the velocity of the ball?

A tennis player's swing is a crucial factor in determining the velocity of the ball. The faster the swing, the higher the velocity of the ball. The angle and direction of the swing also play a role in the ball's velocity.

What factors can affect the velocity of a tennis ball?

Apart from the player's swing, other factors that can affect the velocity of a tennis ball include the type of racket used, the type of surface, and the air resistance. A lighter racket and a smoother surface can result in a faster ball velocity.

How can a tennis player increase their ball velocity?

To increase their ball velocity, a tennis player can work on their strength and technique, use a racket with a larger sweet spot, and adjust their swing to create more power. Additionally, practicing regularly and maintaining a proper form can also help improve ball velocity.

What is the impact of ball velocity on a tennis player's performance?

The ball velocity can significantly impact a tennis player's performance. A faster ball can be more challenging for the opponent to return, giving the player an advantage. It can also result in more powerful shots and increase the chances of winning a point.