Calculating Acceleration from High Speed Camera Footage

In summary, the question discusses a 50g ball bouncing off a brick wall and the resulting change in velocity. The high speed camera records the event and the question asks for the average acceleration of the ball during the 3.5ms it is in contact with the wall. The correct approach is to use delta v over delta t, which results in an answer of 1.34*10^4 m/s^2. There was initially confusion about the change in velocity, but it was determined to be 3 m/s.
gr3g1
I have a question in my serway physics book..
The question goes like this:

A 50g ball traveling at 25m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 22m/s. A high speed camera records this event. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 3.5ms what is te magnintue of te average acceleration of te ball durning this time interval..

I tried using delta v over delta t to find the answer, but the answer is suppose to be : 1.34*10^4

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
gr3g1 said:
I tried using delta v over delta t to find the answer, but the answer is suppose to be : 1.34*10^4
Thanks

The approach is correct and the answer it gives is indeed 13.4*10^3 m/s^2

Ok , the orignal v is 25, and the final v is 22.
The time is just .0035

-3/.0035 ?

Where did the "3" come from?

the change is 3 m/s

Wait, Nevermind, I got it

1. What is acceleration magnitude?

Acceleration magnitude is the measurement of how quickly an object's velocity changes over time. It is a scalar quantity and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration magnitude calculated?

Acceleration magnitude is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between acceleration magnitude and acceleration?

Acceleration magnitude is the measurement of the magnitude of acceleration, while acceleration is a vector quantity that also takes into account the direction of the acceleration. In other words, acceleration magnitude only tells you how much the velocity changes, while acceleration also tells you the direction in which it changes.

4. How does acceleration magnitude affect an object's motion?

The larger the acceleration magnitude, the greater the change in an object's velocity over time. This means that the object will experience a faster change in its speed and/or direction of motion. If the acceleration magnitude is zero, the object will have a constant velocity and will continue moving at a steady speed in a straight line.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration magnitude?

Acceleration magnitude is present in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, riding a roller coaster, or throwing a ball. It is also important in sports, such as sprinting, as the athlete's acceleration magnitude determines how quickly they can reach their top speed.