What are the most influential discoveries in physics that have shaped history?

In summary, the most important advances in physics that had the greatest impact on history include the invention of '0' and the telescope, as well as the development of the scientific method. However, some argue that Maxwell's equations were crucial in leading to the discoveries of relativity and quantum mechanics, which have significantly shaped the modern world. Ultimately, it is important to consider both the social and technological implications of these advancements in physics.
cscott
What advance in physics do you feel has had the greatest impact on history? This is a question I have to answer for a research project. Currently my plan is to do John Bardeen and the transistor but I'd like to here some other ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll probably consider this math rather than physics, but I think that it would be the invention of '0'. The Romans didn't have it, and their space programme sucked.

Danger said:
The Romans didn't have it, and their space programme sucked.

:rofl:

My teacher most likely will not permit it but it's a good idea.

Well an important thing to do is find out what your teacher likes. If your physics teacher loves the internal mechanics of microprocessors, maybe do the solid-state transistor. If he is a Japanese people-hater, do E=mc2 :biggrin:

The most important advance for the old school out there has to be Newtons Pricpia Mathematica which developed the tools we still use most widely today, as well as describing the world in a very practical if not completely true sense. Of course in not completely true I'm referring to his gravitation theory and the inability to describe quantum phenomena but he had a good crack at things considering the experimental knowledge and technology of the time.

I would say that the most influential advance would be invention of the telescope. The impact it created socially upon our feeble perceptions of the universe paved the way for philosophers and physicists to think along the lines necessary to discover modern physics. Without the change in general perceptions of our place in the universe and the capacity to study it few of the modern physics ideas would have been developed.

Invention of the scientific method.

cscott said:
What advance in physics do you feel has had the greatest impact on history? This is a question I have to answer for a research project. Currently my plan is to do John Bardeen and the transistor but I'd like to here some other ideas.

Maxwell's equations.

Without them relativity and quantum mechanics could not have happened. Without those, the modern world as we know it would not exist. Period.

Well, your question is not clear. Are you asking about the SOCIAL implications on society, or the technological, those are two very different but important questions. The first clearly its the ancient greeks. They were the first to think in terms of 'pure' science, in only theoretical terms. They viewed science not for the use in technology, but for the sake of perfection, (plato). As for Newton, he is important, but he did not lay the ground work. He derived his work only thanks to keplers data, who in turn got his data thanks to brahe. You have to realize that Newtons laws had little importance in science up to that point. Engineering and science were two distinctly different things. Engineering was not mathematical, it was all hands on. It was not even taught in colleges. Even by 1824 there was still a big gap between science and engineering. So for what your asking, physics, I would have to say something strictly in the 20th centry. I would probably say an advance in physics that lead to the computer being something cheap and useful to all of society.

You'll probably consider this math rather than physics, but I think that it would be the invention of '0'. The Romans didn't have it, and their space programme sucked.

NO! The romans, did not contribute any to science in history.

would say that the most influential advance would be invention of the telescope. The impact it created socially upon our feeble perceptions of the universe paved the way for philosophers and physicists to think along the lines necessary to discover modern physics. Without the change in general perceptions of our place in the universe and the capacity to study it few of the modern physics ideas would have been developed.

NO! Brahe did not use a telescope in his precise observations! He used a mural quadrant with the naked eye. Brahe ~ 1570's --> Telescope ~1609

Invention of the scientific method

That is a good one. Thinking of science in terms of the HOW and not the WHY.

Maxwell's equations.

Without them relativity and quantum mechanics could not have happened. Without those, the modern world as we know it would not exist. Period.

No, sorry, that statement is horribly inaccurate.

Last edited:
what about fire? :rofl:

warp darkmatter said:
what about fire? :rofl:

good one :rofl:

hmmm, a good invention would perhaps be Electricity :rolleyes:
It did have a great impact on both social and scientific community!

cyrusabdollahi said:
No, sorry, that statement is horribly inaccurate.
really? Even though the Michelson-Morley experiment was trying to bring to light the nature of the luminiferous ether, an assumption in maxwell's theory (and an unnecessary one)?

Even though Einstein's derivation of Special Relativity is called "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies", a study of Maxwell's equations in seperate, moving inertial frames?

Even though the speed of light comes right of the equations, as does its constancy in a vacuum?

Even though none of the derivation of quantum mechanics makes much sense without the relation between the electric and magnetic fields?

I would love to see some argument backing up that claim of yours.

Well, you said

"Maxwell's equations.

Without them relativity and quantum mechanics could not have happened. Without those, the modern world as we know it would not exist. Period."

While its true his equations lead to relativity and quantum mechanics, it in and of itself is NOT what lead to the "modern world as we kwow it." The scientific process has its roots starting from acient greece. It was then lost but rediscovered by the muslims, and taught to the europeans during the midieval ages. At this time you have to remember that the church controlled the learning. So science was NOT unconstrained as we know it today. It was unconstrained to some degree in the ancient greek times. It was indepenent of the state and private. During the progression of the middle ages, science included things like alchemy, and debates on heliocentric vs. geocentric solar systems. All of which were major problems BEFORE maxwells equations were ever considered. Also, science had a big lag behind technology. Technology for the most part came first, through trial and error, and THEN science came put known facts into formulas. There is a series of crucial steps that lead up to what we now call modern physics or modern science. And you can't simply say that maxwells equations are what gives us our modern world, because it is too specific on a certain phenomena. I would say his formulas are a vital step which leads to modern electronics. But I would not dare claim that it is the reason why we have modern world as we know it, as it does not explain everything in the modern world, and leaves out many of the imporant "social/political" obstacles. It would be better to say that it laid the foundation for the modern *theory.*

Last edited:
simple answer...
who brought us to the modern physics from classical physic?
i really think he is the greatest because he introduced the new and deeper face of physic.

The old folks:

Copernicus: Heliocentric theory

Galileo: Law of motion

Newton: Gravity

Keplar Laws of planetary orbit.

Faradays experiments are pretty damn important as well

A lot of people misunderstand Newton's work. Not only did he see beyond the obvious to say that what holds people on the Earth is the same force that keeps the planets in the heavens. He derived Kepler's laws from this and came up with simple laws of motion which people use today. Even NASA still use Newtons law of gravitation even though Einstein's general theory is the accepted theory of gravity in modern terms. Also when you talk about Newton not laying down any of the groundwork you are completely wrong. He invented the mathematical tools to produce his theory of gravity and laws of motion. So for the impact, he invented calculus and we all know how important that is to a physicist, and used his new mathematical tools to create a completely useful and varied theory of motion and gravity that has lasted over 300 years.

cscott said:

I'd say stick with Bardeen and the transistor (if you've read my journal, this should be a surprise to you). There's plenty of arguments here to support the "greatest impact" factor. Besides, as you can already see, it will be DIFFERENT and unusual (just like me! :)). Most people think of the usual, standard response, and your instructor will probably expect the same from you and the rest of the students. So doing something unexpected is in itself an advantage. Pick someone and something not many people have either heard about, or paid any attention to, and expose to them the fact that this is such a monumentous discovery that affects ALL of our lives today and yet, hardly anyone have paid attention to it and the persons who made the discovery.

Most people hardly even know that Bardeen is the only person so far to have been awarded the Nobel Prize in physics TWICE!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'd say stick with Bardeen and the transistor (if you've read my journal, this should be a surprise to you). There's plenty of arguments here to support the "greatest impact" factor. Besides, as you can already see, it will be DIFFERENT and unusual (just like me! :)). Most people think of the usual, standard response, and your instructor will probably expect the same from you and the rest of the students. So doing something unexpected is in itself an advantage. Pick someone and something not many people have either heard about, or paid any attention to, and expose to them the fact that this is such a monumentous discovery that affects ALL of our lives today and yet, hardly anyone have paid attention to it and the persons who made the discovery.
Most people hardly even know that Bardeen is the only person so far to have been awarded the Nobel Prize in physics TWICE!
Zz.

I first learned Bardeen's name while reading your journal, and I thank you for that! :biggrin: I bought his biography too. I really like it even though some of the "physics talk" is over my head.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will consider them all.

Also, I will ask my teacher what he means by "impact on history" to find out exactly what's looking for.

Last edited:
i would say that the mathematization of science/physics is the most significant, starting with galileo & descartes. maybe that wasn't a single discovery, but rather a movement or something like that. anyway the philosophies of those two guys radically changed physics. there's a good chapter in morris kline's "mathematical thought from ancient to modern times". you might say that they were two of the giants on whose shoulders Newton stood.

I'd stick with John Bardeen if I were you. (Of course, I'm a little biased: my school's engineering quad is named after him, and I work for a professor who knew him very well.)

yeah I'm biased also, being a math nerd, etc

fourier jr said:
i would say that the mathematization of science/physics is the most significant, starting with galileo & descartes. maybe that wasn't a single discovery, but rather a movement or something like that. anyway the philosophies of those two guys radically changed physics. there's a good chapter in morris kline's "mathematical thought from ancient to modern times". you might say that they were two of the giants on whose shoulders Newton stood.

I like this idea, along with what Kurdt said. I guess it's a toss up between this and Bardeen. Hmm... Bardeen will be easier to write about for me, but I'm going to read some stuff on this idea.

What are the most influential discoveries in physics that have shaped history?

The answer to this question will vary depending on who you ask, but some of the most frequently cited discoveries include:

1. What is the theory of relativity and how has it impacted our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It has had a major impact on our understanding of space, time, and gravity, and has led to groundbreaking discoveries such as black holes and the expansion of the universe.

2. How has the discovery of quantum mechanics revolutionized our understanding of the subatomic world?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It has revolutionized our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and has led to technological advancements such as transistors and lasers.

3. What is the significance of Isaac Newton's laws of motion and how have they influenced modern physics?

Newton's laws of motion, which describe the relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and force, are considered the foundation of classical mechanics. They have had a profound impact on our understanding of the natural world and are still used extensively in modern physics.

4. How has the discovery of electromagnetism revolutionized technology and communication?

The discovery of electromagnetic waves by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century led to the development of technologies such as radio, television, and cell phones. It has also greatly influenced our understanding of light and energy.

5. What is the significance of the discovery of the Higgs boson and how has it impacted our understanding of particle physics?

The Higgs boson, also known as the "God particle," was first theorized in the 1960s but was not discovered until 2012. Its existence confirmed the Standard Model of particle physics and helped explain the origin of mass in the universe. It has also opened up new avenues for research in areas such as dark matter and supersymmetry.