Red & White: Seeing the Wall Differently

• Thread starter nzahra_ghasemi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary: I repeat my question:*********************************************************In summary, the two rooms have different colors because the walls are reflecting different wavelengths of light.
nzahra_ghasemi
there is two rooms in one of them ,i lit a red bulb and in the other room a white bulb when I'm in the red room i see the wall that is between these two room,red,but when I'm in the room with white light i see this wall white.
why?

Physics news on Phys.org
A wall painted "white" reflects a broad spectrum of colors. When white light (a mix of all wavelengths) illuminates it, it appears white; but when red light illuminates it, it appears red. The apparent color of the wall depends on the light used to illuminate it.

Imagine this. Paint the wall "blue", meaning use paint that reflects blue light and absorbs other colors. When illuminated with white light, the "blue" wall appears blue. But shine red light on it and that red light will be absorbed. The "blue" wall will appear black.

key words: wavelength, reflection

pay attention ,what i said,there is two room and an open door between them,when I'm in the room whith red light i see this wall (painted white)between two rooms red and when I'm in the room with white light i see it white.i say why i don't see this wall still red be cause of the open door.

you didn't mention a door when you posed the question.

as posed, your question is essentially "why does a wall look red when illuminated with red light, but look white when illuminated with white light"

the reason, of course, is that the wall is reflecting whatever light you're shining on it.

but now you say there's a door in the wall. presumably it's open. so now you're asking how come the side of the wall facing the red light is still red.

the reason, of course, is that the white light isn't passing through the door only to make a sudden u-turn. in other words, that white light is not shining on the side of the wall in the red-lit room. so that side of the wall is only illuminated by the red light, and that's all that's getting reflected.

No, I think the question is regarding an adjacent side wall, not the center wall separating the rooms. S/he is saying that the side wall is illuminated from both rooms (because the center partition is open in that area), but you see the same section of wall as having two different colors, depending on where you look from.

The reason would have to do with the reflective properties of the wall. Texturing might cause it to reflect low-angle of incidence light rays back toward their source instead of into the next room. It may be easier to consider the effect of texturing if you make the texture big - say shoebox sized bumps on the wall. If you look at that wall at a low angle and shine a light from the same angle, the bumps will reflect light back to you, but they will also cast shadows. but since the bumps themselves block you from seeing the shadows, you'll only see the reflected light.

Last edited:
Ambiguity really gets to me. It breaks my brain.

ah cheghadr shomaha khengid,so I repeat my question

*(red light bulb)*
((room1))
wall(1)
-------------|wall(3) <---the wall between these two rooms |---------
-------------| |---------
wall(2)
((room2)) *(white light bulb)*

I light a red bulb in room 1 and a white one in room 2.
when I'm in room 1,I see wall 1 ,red,and wall 2,white,and wall 3,red.
when I'm in room 2,I see wall 1 ,red,and wall 2,white,and wall 3,white.
I want to know why the color of wall 3 change when i chang my position?

I repeat my question:
|((room 1))*red light bulb*
|
| wall 1
| v
|-----------------| < wall 3 |-------------------------------------------|
| ^
| wall 2
|((room 2)*white light bulb*
I light a red bulb in room 1 ,and a white bulb in room 2.
when I'm in room 1,I see wall 1 ,red,and wall 2,white,and wall 3,red.
when I'm in room 1,I see wall 1 ,red,and wall 2,white,and wall 3,white.
I want to know why i see wall 3 in diffrent colors when i change my position?

1. What is the main concept behind "Red & White: Seeing the Wall Differently"?

The main concept behind "Red & White: Seeing the Wall Differently" is to highlight the psychological and cultural impact of the Berlin Wall on the people living in East and West Germany before and after its fall in 1989.

2. How does the exhibition explore the theme of division and unity?

The exhibition explores the theme of division and unity through various mediums such as art, film, and personal stories. It showcases how the physical barrier of the Berlin Wall divided families, friends, and communities, but also how it ultimately brought people together in their fight for freedom and unity.

3. What can visitors expect to see at "Red & White: Seeing the Wall Differently"?

Visitors can expect to see a range of artworks, photographs, and videos that depict the experiences of individuals living on both sides of the Berlin Wall. They will also have the opportunity to listen to personal accounts and stories from those who lived through this significant period in history.

4. How does the exhibition incorporate scientific research?

The exhibition incorporates scientific research by examining the psychological effects of living under a divided society. It also delves into the sociological and cultural impacts of the Berlin Wall on the people of Germany and the world.

5. Why is "Red & White: Seeing the Wall Differently" relevant today?

The exhibition is relevant today as it serves as a reminder of the consequences of political divisions and the importance of unity and understanding. It also offers insights into the power of human resilience and the ability to overcome difficult circumstances. The themes explored in the exhibition are still relevant in today's world, making it a thought-provoking and educational experience for visitors.