AC circuits and Kirchoff's laws

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving an exercise involving an AC circuit and finding the current through the resistor, inductor, and capacitor. This was done using the impedance formula and analyzing the voltage and current equations for each component. However, there was confusion about the application of Kirchoff's laws, but it was later resolved through further calculations. Ultimately, it was determined that the sum of the three currents is indeed zero.
koroljov
I was trying to solve an exercise.

We are given an AC circuit (see attachment). We had to find the current trough the resistor, the inductor and the capacitor.

This can be solved using the impedance:
The voltage by the source is sinusoidal: V=V0*sin(w*t)=(complex) V0*exp(j*w*t)
The total (complex) impedance is: Z=R+(j*w*C+1/(j*w*L))^-1
where j=sqrt(-1)

The current trough the resistor is I0*exp(j*(w*t+phi))
Since |Z|=V0/I0:
I0=V0/|Z|
phi=arg(Z)=arctan(w*L/(R*(1-w^2*L*C)))

For the current trough the inductor:
Voltage(inductor)=L*dI/dt
thus
I=1/L*intrgral(V0*exp(j*w*t)-I0*exp(j*(w*t+phi))*R)

For the current trough the capacitor:
voltage(capacitor)=Q/C thus Q=C*voltage(capacitor)=C*(V0*exp(j*w*t)-I0*exp(j*(w*t+phi))*R)
and
I=dQ/dt
thus
I=d(C*(V0*exp(j*w*t)-I0*exp(j*(w*t+phi))*R))/dt

Now comes the problem. Kirchoff's laws should apply at any instant of time. Thus, using the junction rule, the algebraic sum of the three currents should be zero. (the current in the resistor + the one in the capacitor + the one in the inductor).
However, using the results obtained above, this is not true.
Can someone shed some light on the subject?

Attachments

• circuit.GIF
    circuit.GIF
    5.6 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have managed to solve the problem. More calculations convinced me that the sum is, in fact, zero.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your exercise and your approach to solving it. Kirchoff's laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis and are essential for understanding the behavior of AC circuits. Let's take a closer look at your solution and address the issue you have encountered.

Firstly, your calculation of the total impedance is correct. However, when calculating the current through the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, you have assumed that the voltage across each element is the same as the source voltage. This is not always the case in AC circuits, as the voltage across each element can vary depending on the frequency and phase of the source voltage.

In order to accurately calculate the currents through each element, you need to use the voltage divider rule. This rule states that the voltage across an element is equal to the source voltage multiplied by the ratio of the element's impedance to the total impedance of the circuit. This means that the voltage across the resistor is V0*R/(R+Z), the voltage across the inductor is V0*j*w*L/(R+Z), and the voltage across the capacitor is V0/(j*w*C+1/Z). Once you have calculated the voltages across each element, you can then use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the currents.

Now, let's address the issue with Kirchoff's laws. The junction rule states that the algebraic sum of the currents entering and exiting a junction in a circuit should be equal to zero. In your solution, you have correctly calculated the currents through each element, but you have not taken into account the direction of the currents. The currents through the inductor and capacitor are in opposite directions to the current through the resistor, which is why the sum is not equal to zero. However, if you assign a direction to each current and use the correct signs in your calculation, you will find that Kirchoff's laws are satisfied.

In summary, to accurately solve AC circuits using Kirchoff's laws, it is important to consider the voltage divider rule and the direction of the currents in the circuit. I hope this helps to shed some light on the subject. Keep up the good work in your studies of circuit analysis!

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the current periodically changes direction. This is in contrast to a DC (direct current) circuit, in which the current flows in only one direction.

2. What are Kirchoff's laws?

Kirchoff's laws are two principles that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. The first law, Kirchoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node. The second law, Kirchoff's voltage law, states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that same loop.

3. How do Kirchoff's laws apply to AC circuits?

Kirchoff's laws apply to AC circuits in the same way that they apply to DC circuits. The only difference is that the currents and voltages in an AC circuit are constantly changing, so these laws must be applied at each instant in time.

4. Why are Kirchoff's laws important in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's laws are fundamental principles that allow us to mathematically analyze and understand the behavior of complex electrical circuits. By applying these laws, we can determine the currents and voltages at different points in a circuit, which is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

5. Can Kirchoff's laws be violated?

No, Kirchoff's laws are fundamental laws of physics and cannot be violated. Any circuit that appears to violate these laws is either not properly understood or is not a valid circuit.