Gaussian Integers and Pythagorean Triplets

In summary, it is well known that 4n(n+1) + 1 is a square if n is an integer, and if n is a Gaussian integer i.e., 4n(n+1) + 1 = A + Bi, then the norm (A^2 + B^2) is always a square. The proof is quite easy, using the fact that A = u^2 - v^2 and B = 2uv. However, this cannot be used to show that (2Z+1)^2 is a square. It is possible to have two squares that do not sum to a square, but this is not possible for the A and B where A+Bi is the square of a
ramsey2879
It is well known that 4n(n+1) + 1 is a square if n is an integer but if n is a Gaussian integer i.e., 4n(n+1) + 1 = A + Bi, then the norm (A^2 + B^2) is always a square! The proof is quite easy since A = u^2 - v^2 and B = 2uv.

Physics news on Phys.org
4n(n+1)+1 =(2n+1)^2, but it can not equal A+Bi, because you are not considering the imaginary part, are you?

If, instead, we take the form Z=A+Bi, and look at (2Z+1)^2, what do we do now?

robert Ihnot said:
4n(n+1)+1 =(2n+1)^2, but it can not equal A+Bi, because you are not considering the imaginary part, are you?

If, instead, we take the form Z=A+Bi, and look at (2Z+1)^2, what do we do now?
If n=Z = 1+2i for example
[tex]4*(1+2i)*(2+2i) + 1 = -7+24i = (3+4i)^2 = (2Z+1)^2 = (2A+1 +2Bi)^2)[/tex]
[tex]-7 = (2A+1)^2 - (2B)^2 = u^2 - v^2[/tex]
[tex] 24 = 2(2A+1)(2B) = 2uv[/tex]
So we have the x and y of the Pathagorean triple: (7*7 + 24*24 = 25*25)

Last edited:
First let Z* = conjugate of Z, then if (2Z+1)=A+Bi, we have (2Z*+1)(2Z+1) =A^2 +B^2
This then results in (2a+1)^2 + b^2 = A^2+B^2, which is what is expected. But it does not make (2Z+1)(2Z*+1) a square.

You say, quote: The proof is quite easy since A = u^2 - v^2 and B = 2uv.

You introduce the above, in the second sentence, which is what is required to show that A^2+B^2 =(u^2+v^2)^2. But it does not relate to (2Z+1)^2, as introduced in the first sentence.

Anyway, since with sentence 2 you have created the Pythagorian triples, we need only say for example that since 3^2+4^2 = 5^2, the Gaussian integer 3+4i has a square as its norm.

robert Ihnot said:
First let Z* = conjugate of Z, then if (2Z+1)=A+Bi, we have (2Z*+1)(2Z+1) =A^2 +B^2
This then results in (2a+1)^2 + b^2 = A^2+B^2, which is what is expected. But it does not make (2Z+1)(2Z*+1) a square.

You say, quote: The proof is quite easy since A = u^2 - v^2 and B = 2uv.

You introduce the above, in the second sentence, which is what is required to show that A^2+B^2 =(u^2+v^2)^2. But it does not relate to (2Z+1)^2, as introduced in the first sentence.

Anyway, since with sentence 2 you have created the Pythagorian triples, we need only say for example that since 3^2+4^2 = 5^2, the Gaussian integer 3+4i has a square as its norm.
You must multiply 4*Z*(Z+1) and add 1 to get a square that I am talking about.
However any Gaussian integer squared is of the form A+Bi where A= u^2 - v^2 and B = 2uv since I read that the norm of a product of two complex numbers is the product of their norms. So yes it is possible to have two squares that do not sum to a square but that is not possible for the A and B where A+Bi is the square of a Gaussian integer.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
You must multiply 4*Z*(Z+1) and add 1 to get a square that I am talking about.
However any Gaussian integer squared is of the form A+Bi where A= u^2 - v^2 and B = 2uv since I read that the norm of a product of two complex numbers is the product of their norms. So yes it is possible to have two squares that do not sum to a square but that is not possible for the A and B where A+Bi is the square of a Gaussian integer.
The last couple of posts are troubling at first glance. Of course the product of two conjugates equals A^2 + B^2 but here that is of the form A' = A^2 + B^2 and B' =0 so the norm is (A^2+B^2)^2 which what is to be expected. What my first post states is that 4Z(Z+1)+1 = (2Z+1)^2 = A + Bi where A = u^2 + v^2 and B = 2uv which I showed in a later post to be true. The product of two conjugates are also of the form A' = u^2+v^2 abd B' = 2uv since this is a trival case where v = 0.

Last edited:
O.K., you have (a+bi)^2 = a^2-b^2 +2abi. Thus N(a+bi)^2 =(a^2-b^2)^2+(2ab)^2 = (A^2+b^2)^2.

So then you are saying (2Z+1)^2 = A+Bi is such that (2Z*+1)^2(2Z+1)^2 = A^2 +B^2.

I guess I was confused about how you were writing that up.

robert Ihnot said:
O.K., you have (a+bi)^2 = a^2-b^2 +2abi. Thus N(a+bi)^2 =(a^2-b^2)^2+(2ab)^2 = (A^2+b^2)^2.

So then you are saying (2Z+1)^2 = A+Bi is such that (2Z*+1)^2(2Z+1)^2 = A^2 +B^2.

I guess I was confused about how you were writing that up.
I guess we confused each other. I went back and corrected my last post since A = u^2-v^2 not u^2+v^2; but I don't think I ever said anything about the product of the squares of two conjugates except that by inference they too are of the form A+Bi where A = u^2-v^2 and B =2uv.

It is easily shown that all Gaussian integers that are squares are of the form A+Bi where A=u^2-v^2 and B = -2uv. Therefore all Gaussian integers that are squares have a square norm. But not all Gausian integers that have a square norm are squares since 3 is not a Guassian square but has a square norm and 3*Z^2 has a square norm but likewise is not a square. Is it true that all Gaussian integers that have a square norm are either a Gaussian square or a product of a Gaussian square and an integer which is not a Gaussian square?
Thanks for reply
Edit, I forgot to consider the Gaussian units, "i" is not a Gaussian square so I have to amend my question. Are only the only Gaussian integers that have a square norm either a Gaussian square or the product of i and or an integer and a Gaussian square?

Last edited:
I think the first problem here was The Axiom of Symbolic Stability. It is well known that 4n(n+1) + 1 is a square if n is an integer but if n is a Gaussian integer i.e., 4n(n+1) + 1 = A + Bi, then the norm (A^2 + B^2) is always a square! The proof is quite easy since A = u^2 - v^2 and B = 2uv. I failed to recognize that A+Bi was the same as u+vi.

I also was considering, wrongly, a Gaussian integer to be only those that decomposed over the imaginary. I had not considered 3, for example. With the exception of 2 the only primes that will decompose are those congruent to 1 Mod 4. Thus the Pythagorian triples are built up from 5, 13, 17, etc. For example 5 =(1+2i)(1-2i) =(2+i)(2-i). Or products of primes==1 Mod 4 such as: 65 = 8^2+1^1 = 7^2+4^2. (Which can be done in two distinct ways.) However, 3 can be present only in a squared form, such as: (15)^2=9^2+12^2.

Without going into the question of a Gaussain square, I think you are right. As for 2, (1+i) and (1-i) and not distinct primes since (-i)(1+i) = (1-i), so they differ only by a unit.

Last edited:

1. What are Gaussian Integers and how are they different from regular integers?

Gaussian Integers are numbers in the form a + bi, where a and b are both integers and i is the imaginary unit. They are different from regular integers because they include the imaginary unit, which is not present in regular integers.

2. How are Pythagorean Triplets related to Gaussian Integers?

Pythagorean Triplets are sets of three positive integers (a, b, c) that satisfy the equation a² + b² = c². In Gaussian Integers, this equation can also be satisfied using numbers in the form of a + bi. This means that Pythagorean Triplets can also be expressed as Gaussian Integers, making them closely related.

3. Can all Pythagorean Triplets be expressed as Gaussian Integers?

No, not all Pythagorean Triplets can be expressed as Gaussian Integers. Only the ones where the hypotenuse (c) is a prime number or a multiple of a prime number can be expressed in this form. Pythagorean Triplets where c is a composite number cannot be expressed as Gaussian Integers.

4. How are Gaussian Integers used in solving problems related to Pythagorean Triplets?

Gaussian Integers are used in solving problems related to Pythagorean Triplets by providing a different way to find solutions. By using the properties of Gaussian Integers, we can find solutions to Pythagorean Triplets that may not be easily found using traditional methods.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Gaussian Integers and Pythagorean Triplets?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of Gaussian Integers and Pythagorean Triplets. They are used in fields such as cryptography, signal processing, and number theory. They also have applications in engineering, specifically in solving problems related to resonance and vibration.