TSOP IR Receiver Help: Troubleshooting 4-5V Voltage Change

In summary: Well I'm designing a simple circuit in which a bulb is turned on and off by a simple household remote control. Normal remote control gives IR of 38 khz so i m using TSOP 1738, there is also an alternative of HRM 3800. Well i m having a problem that neither of them r working. When i press the remote, it doesn't give any voltage change whereas i want at least 4-5volts. Can anyone help me with this by providing some circuit for TSOP which works properly or have any idea, please share it with me.In summary, the TSOP should give a 4-5 volt output with no input when triggered by the remote.
Realhotshady
well i m designing a simple circuit in which a bulb is turned on and off by a simple household remote control. Normal remote control gives IR of 38 khz so i m using TSOP 1738, there is also an alternative of HRM 3800. Well i m having a problem that neither of them r working. When i press the remote, it doesn't give any voltage change whereas i want at least 4-5volts. Can anyone help me with this by providing some circuit for TSOP which works properly or have any idea, please share it with me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the datasheet, it looks like the thing gives out pulses corresponding to the IR pulse train from the zapper.

You may need additional circuitry to achieve what you require.

Realhotshady said:
well i m designing a simple circuit in which a bulb is turned on and off by a simple household remote control. Normal remote control gives IR of 38 khz so i m using TSOP 1738, there is also an alternative of HRM 3800. Well i m having a problem that neither of them r working. When i press the remote, it doesn't give any voltage change whereas i want at least 4-5volts. Can anyone help me with this by providing some circuit for TSOP which works properly or have any idea, please share it with me.

Post some oscilloscope waveform pictures and your schematic, so that we can be of help.

i've posted the complete circuit. Everything is working well except the TSOP part. the voltage doesn't change at all. what can i do now? is there any alternative or is there any way i can connect the TSOP? i m using a normal tv remote control. please help me out with this guys.

Attachments

• Remote.pdf
    115.5 KB · Views: 380
The other thing that just crossed what passes for my mind is that all zappers are not 38kHz...

Have you tried it with a different make of zapper?

zeitghost said:
The other thing that just crossed what passes for my mind is that all zappers are not 38kHz...

Have you tried it with a different make of zapper?
zapper? u mean remote control? I've tried it with tv and vcd remotes but both didn't work at all. I've learned these remotes generally gives 38 khz. how can i test the frequency?

Realhotshady said:
i've posted the complete circuit. Everything is working well except the TSOP part. the voltage doesn't change at all. what can i do now? is there any alternative or is there any way i can connect the TSOP? i m using a normal tv remote control. please help me out with this guys.

When you trace the receive signal with an oscilloscope, what do you see? Monitor the TX signal at the remote control's IR LED to see what the 38kHz modulated TX signal looks like, and look for a similar signal at the output (collector) of T1 in the RX circuit. What do the waveforms look like?

Hmmm, The TSOP should strip the carrier and just put out the remote pulse train, if it works like similar devices. So the 100u cap should work as a peak detector and saturate T1 giving a single transition for any key press on the remote.
With a DC scope probe you should see a DC transition plus a bit of a triangle wave at the output of the TSOP.

Any chance you simply miss wired the tsop?
The pinout is different from the schematic layout as the center pin does not go to t1 base.

i've seen this datasheet and connected the pin as mentioned here. but still its not working. i'v not yet checked the frequency with oscilloscope which i'll do later when I've the access to oscilloscope. what will i do next?

Attachments

• datasheet 1738.pdf
    203.5 KB · Views: 306
Looking at the pdf and schematic, you should have 4-5 volts at the output of the TSOP with no remote input.
It should go to zero when triggered by the remote.
You can measure this with a DVM.

Your original post implies that the voltage you have is 0 always.
If this is so then you have a bad component in the circuit.

Last edited:

What is a TSOP IR receiver?

A TSOP IR receiver is a type of sensor that detects infrared signals from a remote control or other IR transmitter. It is commonly used in electronic devices to receive commands and trigger certain actions.

Why is there a voltage change in my TSOP IR receiver?

A voltage change in a TSOP IR receiver can occur due to various reasons such as fluctuations in power supply, interference from external sources, or a fault in the receiver itself.

How can I troubleshoot the 4-5V voltage change in my TSOP IR receiver?

The first step to troubleshooting a voltage change in a TSOP IR receiver is to check the power supply and ensure it is stable. If the power supply is not the issue, then check for any external interference and try shielding the receiver. If the problem persists, the receiver may need to be replaced.

Can I fix a voltage change in my TSOP IR receiver on my own?

If the voltage change is due to a faulty receiver, it is recommended to seek professional help for repair or replacement. However, if the issue is related to power supply or interference, it may be possible to fix it on your own by ensuring a stable power supply and shielding the receiver from external sources.

How can I prevent voltage changes in my TSOP IR receiver?

To prevent voltage changes in a TSOP IR receiver, it is important to use a stable power supply and avoid placing the receiver near potential sources of interference such as other electronics or fluorescent lights. Regular maintenance and proper handling of the receiver can also help prevent voltage changes.