Simple geometry problem but only using geometry

• Thread starter ovoleg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the problem is to find the missing angle in a 10 by 10 square when given two angles of 15 degrees, using geometry without trigonometry. The solution involves using symmetry to establish that the angle at point D is 90 degrees, and then using congruent triangles to find the missing angle at point E, which is 75 degrees.
ovoleg
THE PROBLEM
mathproblem.jpg

given EAD = 15 degrees
ADE = 15 degrees
its a 10 by 10 square

you can only use geometry to solve this problem, NO TRIGONOMETRY. Supposedly it can be done...I've been trying!

The Attempt at a Solution

angle ABC = angle DCE by symmetry
angle EBC = angle ECB by symmetry

angle ABC + angle EBC = angle DCE + angle ECB = 90 degrees

angle AEB = 75 degrees = DEC

angle AED = 150 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
ovoleg said:
angle ABC = angle DCE by symmetry
1] Your first line is false.

2] Can you elaborate on this 'symmetry' for me? Show why they're symmetrical?

ovoleg said:
angle ABC = angle DCE

DaveC426913 said:

oh I am sorry typo!

Meant to say angle ABE!

Can I try to approach this by assuming that BEC is not an equilateral triangle and try to prove it by contradiction??

angle AEB = Angle DEC 75 degrees

That is correct.

But you are just given a square. and those angles of 15.

Now if the base angles are both 15, what sort of triangle is that? When see what that is, you just need to remember the ways to show that triangles are congruent.

make it symmetric …

Hi ovoleg!

Hint: scrub out lines BE and CE.

Then make the diagram symmetric by drawing in the quadrilateral EFGH, where F G and H are defined in the same way as E. :smile:

(oh … and use a protractor to draw the diagram, so that those angles look like 15º :frown:)

Hello ovoleg,

Have you studied congruent triangles and theorems such as ASA, SSS, etc.?

Bigger hint:

What is triangle
BFE
congruent to? :smile:

1. What is Geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shape, size, relative position of figures, and the properties of space. It is used to understand and describe the physical world around us.

2. What are the basic elements of Geometry?

The basic elements of Geometry are points, lines, and planes. A point has no size and is represented by a dot. A line is made up of infinitely many points and has no width or thickness. A plane is a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions.

3. What are the different types of angles in Geometry?

There are four types of angles in Geometry: acute, obtuse, right, and straight. An acute angle is less than 90 degrees, an obtuse angle is greater than 90 degrees, a right angle is exactly 90 degrees, and a straight angle is exactly 180 degrees.

4. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. It can be represented by the equation a² + b² = c², where a and b are the lengths of the two legs and c is the length of the hypotenuse.

5. How can Geometry be applied in real life?

Geometry has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in architecture, engineering, art, and navigation. It is used to design buildings and structures, create maps, and even in computer graphics and animation. Understanding geometry also helps in problem-solving and critical thinking skills.