Question on simple acceleration concept

In summary: There's no other sensible way of reading the question. :rolleyes:In summary, the acceleration of the ball is greater than 9.8m/s^2.
test2morrow

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown straight up into the air. If we do not ignore air resistance, the acceleration of the ball as it is traveling upward is...?

a.) 9.8m/s^2
b.) greater than 9.8m/s^2
c.) less than 9.8m/s^2
d.) zero

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My line of thinking is that if there were air resistance, then the ball would travel slower. Therefore I thought the answer would be less than 9.8m/s^2. Correct answer is greater than 9.8m/s^2. Can somebody explain? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi test2morrow! Welcome to PF! :smile:
test2morrow said:
A ball is thrown straight up into the air. If we do not ignore air resistance, the acceleration of the ball as it is traveling upward is...?

a.) 9.8m/s^2
b.) greater than 9.8m/s^2
c.) less than 9.8m/s^2
d.) zero

My line of thinking is that if there were air resistance, then the ball would travel slower. Therefore I thought the answer would be less than 9.8m/s^2. Correct answer is greater than 9.8m/s^2. Can somebody explain? Thanks.

Hint: which direction is the acceleration? :wink:

This is a very misleading question. If gravity pulls downward, but we define upward as the positive direction (as would most people), then acceleration is negative, not positive. In that case the answer would still be "less than" because acceleration is negative and only positive values are given. But it might also be reasonable to assume the author of the question was really talking about only the magnitude of the acceleration OR thinking of upward as negative, because only positive accelerations are given (even though the author doesn't mention it). So in that case the air adds to the force of gravity as the ball goes up (but subtracts as the ball goes down), so the answer would be "greater than". Since the question is ambiguous and the optional answers imply something that only some students might presume, I say it is a bad question.

when its going up 2 forces work in the same direction (air drag and gravity) so the net force is ____ ,when its going down gravity works downwards and air drag upwards thus net force is_____ , when the net force is larger the acceleration is larger (in size)
can u fill the holes?

"less than" and "greater than" don't have an unambiguous vectorial meaning, and magnitude is most certainly implied. It is not a bad question; it is a very good question as demonstrated by test2morrow's (commonly made) mistaken reasoning. One must distinguish speed and acceleration. IMO, the best way to reason this problem is to simply draw the fbd. Then, you will see that both force vectors point in the same direction, resulting in an acceleration (from Newton's second law) that is greater than the acceleration of gravity alone.

turin said:
"less than" and "greater than" don't have an unambiguous vectorial meaning, and magnitude is most certainly implied. It is not a bad question; it is a very good question as demonstrated by test2morrow's (commonly made) mistaken reasoning. One must distinguish speed and acceleration. IMO, the best way to reason this problem is to simply draw the fbd. Then, you will see that both force vectors point in the same direction, resulting in an acceleration (from Newton's second law) that is greater than the acceleration of gravity alone.

So which do you think is the right answer?

fleem said:
So which do you think is the right answer?
b) greater than 9.8 m/s^2, of course.

turin said:
b) greater than 9.8 m/s^2, of course.

Wrong. A positive acceleration will cause the upward moving ball to increase its upward speed, and you are saying air resistance increases it even further. The acceleration of the Earth is downward (and thus negative), is it not? My point here is the question rewards imprecise thinking and punishes precise thinking. Or shall we always consider upward as negative and downward as positive when we have a choice? Most mistakes involve imprecise thinking.

fleem said:
The acceleration of the Earth is downward (and thus negative), is it not?
No law of physics says that I must choose down to be negative. You can think of it this way: I chose down to be positive in this problem.

turin said:
No law of physics says that I must choose down to be negative. You can think of it this way: I chose down to be positive in this problem.

And I chose up.

Still think its a "good" question?

fleem said:
Still think its a "good" question?
Yes, and I'm done arguing with you.

turin said:
… magnitude is most certainly implied … it is a very good question

I agree :smile: … it obviously means magnitude …

there's no other sensible way of reading the question. :rolleyes:

1. What is simple acceleration?

Simple acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly the object's speed or direction is changing.

2. How is simple acceleration calculated?

Simple acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for simple acceleration is: a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is change in velocity, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration means the object is speeding up, while negative acceleration means the object is slowing down. This depends on the direction of the change in velocity. If the velocity and acceleration are in the same direction, it is positive acceleration. If they are in opposite directions, it is negative acceleration.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can affect an object's motion by changing its speed or direction. An object with constant acceleration will change its velocity by the same amount in each unit of time. This means the object's motion will be more predictable and easier to analyze.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple acceleration?

Some real-life examples of simple acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a ball dropping under the influence of gravity, and a rocket taking off. Anytime an object's speed changes, there is acceleration involved.