Linear Algebra, Find the Determinant

In summary, to find the determinant of C, first row reduce it to a matrix with the first column as 1,0,0,0 by using the row operations of subtracting 3/2 the first row from the second and adding 5/2 the first row to the third. Then, use the theorem DET(Ek)DET(Ek-1)...DET(E1)DET(A)=DET(C) to find the determinant, which is -244.
kuahji
Find the determinant of C by first row reducing it to a matrix with first column 1,0,0,0. Show the row operations and explain how all this tells you the value of the determinant of C when you are done.

C=(2,0,-6,8;3,1,0,3;-5,1,7,-8;0,0,5,1) where ; indicates a new row.
We're suppose to use the theorem DET(Ek)DET(Ek-1)...DET(E1)DET(A)=DET(C)

The problem that I'm having is that I know the determinate of C is -244 (calculator). But when I use the theorem I get (1/2)(1)(1)(-144) for the determinant. It really appears to be the first row operations, if it was 2 instead of 1/2 it'd work. I can't figure out how to resolve this, below is my work.

The first row operation I did was 1/2R1->R1, then -3R1+R2->R2, and finally 5R1+R3->R3. This left me with the matrix
A=(1,0,-3,4;0,1,9,-9;0,1,-8,12;0,0,5,1)
Hence the (1/2)(1)(1)(-144) for the determinant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiplying a row in the matrix by 1/2 gives you 1/2 the original determinant, so to get the same number at the end, you want to multiply by 2 to cancel the 1/2

2*(1/2)det(A) = 2*(det(A with the first row multiplied by 1/2))

When finding the determinant, it is better NOT to multiply or divide a line by anything. Use only the row operations of "swap two rows" and "add a multiple of one row to another".

Here you have
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}2 & 0 & -6 & 8 \\ 3 & 1 & 0 & 3 \\ -5 & 1 & 7 & -8\\ 0 & 0 & 5 & 1\end{array}\right|[/tex]
Subtract 3/2 the first row (or add -3/2 the first row) from the second and add 5/2 the first row to the third to get
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}2 & 0 & -6 & 8 \\ 0 & 1 & 9 & -9 \\ 0 & 1 & -8 & 12\\ 0 & 0 & 5 & 1\end{array}\right|[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
When finding the determinant, it is better NOT to multiply or divide a line by anything. Use only the row operations of "swap two rows" and "add a multiple of one row to another".

Thanks this works out just great.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices and vectors to solve problems related to geometry, physics, and engineering.

2. What is a determinant in linear algebra?

A determinant is a mathematical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It is used to determine the properties of a matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular. The determinant is also used to solve systems of linear equations and find the area or volume of geometric shapes.

3. How is the determinant calculated?

The determinant of a matrix is calculated by using a specific formula depending on the size of the matrix. For a 2x2 matrix, the determinant is found by taking the product of the elements on the main diagonal and subtracting the product of the elements on the other diagonal. For larger matrices, the determinant is calculated using the Laplace expansion method or by using row operations to simplify the matrix.

4. What is the significance of the determinant in linear algebra?

The determinant plays a crucial role in linear algebra as it helps determine the properties of a matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations, finding the area or volume of geometric shapes, and in other applications such as computer graphics, quantum mechanics, and statistics.

5. Can the determinant be negative?

Yes, the determinant can be negative. The sign of the determinant depends on the arrangement of the elements in the matrix. If the number of row or column interchanges required to transform the matrix to its upper triangular form is even, the determinant will be positive, and if it is odd, the determinant will be negative. However, the absolute value of the determinant remains the same regardless of its sign.