Sum and Product of the Roots (Quadratic Equations)

In summary, to find the sum and product of roots for the quadratic equation x^2 - px + 9 = 0, use the formulas Sum = -p and Product = 9. To find p when twice the sum of the roots equals the product, solve the equation -2p = 9. To find p when the roots are unequal, use the quadratic formula with Delta = p^2 - 36. The values of p can be any real number except for p = +6 or p = -6.
zebra1707

Homework Statement

For the quad equation x^2 - px + 9 = 0

1. Write down the sum of roots and product of roots
2. Find p IF twice the sum of the roots EQUALS the product
3. Find p IF the roots are unequal

Homework Equations

Sum = (a+b) = -b/a Product = (ab) c/a

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Using the formula Sum = -p Product = 9
2. -2p = 9 -9/2 = 2p/2 = 4 1/2
3. Totally lost

Can someone provide guidence. Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let r1 and r2 be the roots of the given quadratic.
1) Sum of roots = r1 + r2 = -p
Product of roots = r1 * r2 = 9

You have two equations in two unknowns. Can you solve for r1 and r2 in terms of p?

2) What's the question in this part? You have
zebra1707 said:
Find p if twice the sum of the roots and product of roots
Part of the sentence is missing.

Last edited:
1 if the roots are a,b then the equation is x^2 - (a+b)x + ab = 0, so the coefficient of x is -(sum of the roots), and you should have p instead of -p.

2. I have no idea what is meant here.

3. Find p when the roots are equal first. Can you use comples numbers? if not there are more values of p where the quadratic doesn't have a solution

Hi there

I have edited the original question - my apologies there.

Cheers

I have amended my original post.

For the quad equation x^2 - px + 9 = 0

1. Write down the sum of roots and product of roots
2. Find p IF twice the sum of the roots EQUALS the product
3. Find p IF the roots are unequal

2. Homework Equations

Sum = (a+b) = -b/a Product = (ab) c/a

3. The Attempt at a Solution

1. Using the formula Sum = -p Product = 9
2. -2p = 9 -9/2 = 2p/2 = 4 1/2
3. Totally lost

Can someone provide guidence. Cheers

1) No the sum is [itex]-b/a=-(-p/1)=p[/itex] and the product is right.

2) You're right except for taking the sum as -p rather than p.

3) If we need p when the roots are unequal, how about we find the value(s) of p when the roots are equal, then take all other values?

I think that I have nutted out part 3, of this question

x^2 - px + 9 = 0

a = 1 b = -p and c = 9

Delta = b^2 - 4ac
= (-p)^2 - 4(1) (9)
= p - 36

So if plugged into the following:

Equal roots Delta = 0
p - 36 = 0
p = 36

For real roots Delta = >(Equal to) 0
p - 36 >(Equal to) 0

Unreal Delta < 0
p - 36 < 0
p < 36

For real and different Delta > 0
p - 36 > 0
p > 36

Guidence on this would be great

Yes you were very close. You had the right approach.
You just forgot about the squaring p in the [itex]\Delta=(-p)^2-4.1.9[/itex]

However, there were no other restrictions on the problem. It just said find p when the roots are unequal. It never said anything about the roots being real/imaginary.
Basically, taking [itex]\Delta<0[/itex] is fine too. It just means for those values of p, the quadratic will be entirely above the x-axis.

So finally, for roots unequal, p is all reals except [itex]p^2\neq 36[/itex] thus, [itex]p\neq \pm 6[/itex] (Note: do not forget about the plus/minus)

Many thanks

I understand - many thanks for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully.

Cheers

1. What is the sum of the roots of a quadratic equation?

The sum of the roots of a quadratic equation can be found by using the formula: -b/a. This formula is derived from the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a and b are coefficients and c is a constant. The sum of the roots is also known as the sum of the solutions or sum of the zeros.

2. How do you find the product of the roots of a quadratic equation?

The product of the roots of a quadratic equation can be found by using the formula: c/a. This formula is also derived from the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0. The product of the roots is also known as the product of the solutions or product of the zeros.

3. When do the sum and product of the roots of a quadratic equation have special properties?

The sum and product of the roots of a quadratic equation have special properties when the equation has rational roots. This means that the roots can be expressed as fractions. In this case, the sum of the roots will be equal to the negative coefficient of x (-b) and the product of the roots will be equal to the constant term (c).

4. How can the sum and product of the roots be useful in solving a quadratic equation?

The sum and product of the roots can be used to write a quadratic equation in factored form. This can make it easier to solve the equation by finding the roots using the zero product property. The sum and product of the roots can also be used to check if a given value is a root of the equation.

5. Can the sum and product of the roots be negative?

Yes, the sum and product of the roots can be negative. This can occur when the quadratic equation has complex roots, which cannot be represented as real numbers. In this case, the sum and product of the roots will be expressed in terms of the imaginary unit i, where i^2 = -1. The sum and product of the roots can also be negative if the coefficient of x is negative.