Find CFM Formula: Pipe Diameter & PSI

In summary: If it's pressurized, then it's supplying something that has pressure (though not necessarily velocity) associated with it. For example, a tire at 100psi.In summary, you need to measure the velocity pressure (Vp) to determine the airflow through a pipe.
shellback
I just want the formula that shows how to find for CFM. I have the pipe diameter and the PSI that are available. I'm just using air, nothing special.

Engineering news on Phys.org
shellback said:
I just want the formula that shows how to find for CFM. I have the pipe diameter and the PSI that are available. I'm just using air, nothing special.

Can you be more specific with what you want to know? I presume you mean how to determine the flow rate of air in cubic feet per minute through a pipe when knowing only the pipe diameter and back pressure?

CS

stewartcs said:
Can you be more specific with what you want to know? I presume you mean how to determine the flow rate of air in cubic feet per minute through a pipe when knowing only the pipe diameter and back pressure?

CS

Yes, that's exactly right. I know there's a way to do it. I just haven't been able to work that out.

The pressure is the static pressure in the pipe? That isn't enough to determine the airflow. You need a differential pressure across an orifice, pressure drop in a venturi or velocity pressure from a pitot tube.

Once you get some form of velocity pressure (and if you give us more details about your setup, we can tell you how to measure/estimate it), you can use a form of Bernoulli's equation to find the velocity:

V=4005*sqrt(Vp)
where
V= velocity in fpm
Vp= velocity pressure in inches of water gauge.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
The pressure is the static pressure in the pipe? That isn't enough to determine the airflow. You need a differential pressure across an orifice, pressure drop in a venturi or velocity pressure from a pitot tube.

We're going to have a compressor maintaining a constant pressure of +100psi regulated to 100psi and a 3/8" ID for the pipe at its' most narrow.

That's static pressure. It doesn't have anything directly to do with velocity (consider an air tank pressurized to 100psi: no airflow at all). What is this pipe supplying? Or is it open ended?

1. What is the CFM formula for calculating pipe diameter and PSI?

The CFM (cubic feet per minute) formula for calculating pipe diameter and PSI (pounds per square inch) is: CFM = (0.00028 * Pipe Diameter) * (PSI / 29.92). This formula assumes that the air is at standard atmospheric conditions (29.92 inches of mercury) and that the pipe is smooth and straight.

2. How do I determine the pipe diameter needed for a specific CFM and PSI?

To determine the pipe diameter needed for a specific CFM and PSI, you can rearrange the CFM formula to: Pipe Diameter = (CFM * 29.92) / (0.00028 * PSI). Simply plug in the desired CFM and PSI values to calculate the pipe diameter.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of gas or fluid?

Yes, the CFM formula can be used for calculating pipe diameter and PSI for any type of gas or fluid. However, the formula assumes that the air or fluid behaves like an ideal gas and that the pipe is smooth and straight.

4. What are the units of measurement for CFM, pipe diameter, and PSI?

The units of measurement for CFM are cubic feet per minute, for pipe diameter are inches, and for PSI are pounds per square inch.

5. Is this formula accurate for all types of pipes?

The CFM formula is most accurate for smooth and straight pipes, as it assumes laminar flow. It may not be as accurate for rough or bent pipes, as this can affect the flow of the gas or fluid.