How can I attract intelligent and nerdy men in NYC?

• Thread starter bd7878
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a woman living in NYC who is interested in dating intelligent, science-oriented men. She is seeking advice on where to find these types of men, as she currently runs in a superficial crowd due to her job in entertainment PR. Suggestions are made to attend events and seminars at nearby universities, join after-work socializing in bars, and engage in activities related to her own academic or scientific interests. The conversation also includes humorous remarks and personal anecdotes from other participants.
bd7878
I always get asked out by these alpha male wall street types, but I really dig men who are very smart and somewhat dorky! I know this is a bizarre ask, but how do I attract these types of men - in that where are they?

I live in NYC and run in a somewhat superficial crowd - but I really am interested in ending up with a man of science. I am the type of girl who gets noticed - tall, blond + attractive - not bragging just thought that might be part of it. Often people tell me that I am nicer than they thought I would be?? I may look like a mean girl but I really am not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and please take this in the spirit is intended - I am asking for advice not trying to sound stuck on myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
goto xkcd.org
make T shirt of any cartoon
only talk to men who understand the joke

also the issue is not my intelligence - i was in the G+T in school (98%) growing up and am very smart

bd7878 said:
I live in NYC and run in a somewhat superficial crowd .
I think that answers your question. Why are you in that type of crowd if that's not the type of person you want to be with?

I work in entertainment PR - I go to events and things like that. I am asking for ideas on places or activities that will put me in more contact with the type of person I am interested in.

Cronxeh sure picked a fine time to disappear. He's in NYC, and he loves blondes.

bd7878 said:
I work in entertainment PR - I go to events and things like that. I am asking for ideas on places or activities that will put me in more contact with the type of person I am interested in.
Do you have any academic or scientific interests that you could get involved in?

Honestly, there is no particular place intelligent people hang out socially. I think you will find that the people here are quite a diverse crowd, some go to libraries and others are into extreme sports.

NYC should have colleges which will be good places to meet those kind of people .. ? Co-incidentally I was searching universities in NYC and believe there are some.

Go to a coffeehouse and read a scientist biography. I'd be intrigued anyway (because I've never seen a blond girl do that).

NobodySpecial said:
goto xkcd.org
make T shirt of any cartoon
only talk to men who understand the joke

:rofl:

1. Go to PF.
2. Say hi.

i appreciate all your ideas - thanks keep them coming

rootX said:
NYC should have colleges which will be good places to meet those kind of people .. ? Co-incidentally I was searching universities in NYC and believe there are some.

Find a nearby university and go to a seminar - they're free. You can find a schedule on the department website.

lisab said:
Find a nearby university and go to a seminar - they're free. You can find a schedule on the department website.

I might be in NYC for few months and thus was finding few courses there :smile:OP enroll in a physics course!

i have been out of uni for almost a decade though... i do love physics and find it so interesting, but I'm not qualified in any capacity to take classes?

If you're in NY, carry small cans of sardines, physicists love them.

thanks - i knew there must be some easy solution... should i bring crackers as well?

bd7878 said:
thanks - i knew there must be some easy solution... should i bring crackers as well?

:rofl:

bd7878 said:
Can't hurt.

Actually 2 physicists that are mentors here, in the NY area, love sardines, one eats them every day.

You never know what it takes. I dated a three time Oscar winning film director because I mentioned I like Irish music.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Honestly, there is no particular place intelligent people hang out socially.

How come? So what are we doing here?

Borek said:
How come? So what are we doing here?

Lol, no (I'd like to insert a four-letter explicative, here, but can't, due to my respect for the forum decorum).

(holds head in hands for 2 minutes while contemplating answer...)

(gets up to tend to rice pilaf for breakfast, whether to crack an egg into the mix or not)

(cracks an egg into it, adds salt and other spices)

It's now 5:50 in the morning. Is this really what we nerds do on Sundays?

I took too long, so it's now 6:01 in the morning.

I miss her. I hurt. It's why I'm up at 6 am on Sunday.

Last edited:
Hmm...I always thought NYC was a great place to meet somewhat geeky guys, mainly because it's one of those places where people stay single longer while building their career first, or else put so much time into their careers that those who married young get divorced young too. Don't be fooled by appearances...some of them have learned how to dress well and get good paying jobs in places like Wall Street. :wink: You might just need to get to know some of those who are asking you out a bit better than you've given them a chance. In big social crowds, a lot of people talk about superficial things, because it keeps them from saying something that will offends someone else, especially if they're trying to build business contacts.

Though, in NYC, it's not so much where you go out as when. If you want to catch the single guys who work in the city and have some brains, you need to join the after-work crowd at the bars...or more realistically, the out for dinner and a drink to network before heading back to the office crowd. The Thursday late-night-party crowds are all the tourists and college students from NJ (and not usually the geeky ones). Same bars, different times of day.

Solve this problem: Three fishermen had caught a load of fish in a collaborative effort and decided to split it evenly. However, when the first fisherman came to collect his share, he noticed that the number of fish was not divisible by three and that he had to throw one fish to make it so. He did that and took one third of the remaining fish. The other two fishermen, not being aware of their partners' actions, noticed and did the same thing. What is the smallest number of caught fish that would make this scenario possible?

bd7878 said:
I am the type of girl who gets noticed - tall, blond + attractive - ...

Pics or its not true.

Get involved in some PF discussions, discover some commonalities, and get a bit closer. If you have a college nearby, as basil suggested, get out to seminars, scheduled talks, etc. No cover-charge, no minimum, and you might meet some decent guys.

Dickfore said:
Solve this problem: Three fishermen had caught a load of fish in a collaborative effort and decided to split it evenly. However, when the first fisherman came to collect his share, he noticed that the number of fish was not divisible by three and that he had to throw one fish to make it so. He did that and took one third of the remaining fish. The other two fishermen, not being aware of their partners' actions, noticed and did the same thing. What is the smallest number of caught fish that would make this scenario possible?

25 fish - was that a joke i didn;t get?

bd7878 said:
25 fish - was that a joke i didn;t get?

If you had been a true nerd, you would have given the answer like P.A.M. Dirac, namely -2. :wink:

Dickfore said:
If you had been a true nerd, you would have given the answer like P.A.M. Dirac, namely -2. :wink:

i am not a nerd just a admirer:)

Nerds probably won't have the chutzpah to approach a tall blonde attractive woman. If you really want one, you'll have to do the legwork starting the interaction off, showing them that attractive women aren't scary.

yeah sorry i never said i wasn't crazy:) i have no problem talking to guys first, but i need to broaden my social environment to include more of the type of guys i really am attracted to

bd7878 said:
yeah sorry i never said i wasn't crazy:) i have no problem talking to guys first, but i need to broaden my social environment to include more of the type of guys i really am attracted to

The New York Academy of Sciences often has public seminars in the evenings. You could start attending those.

Moonbear said:
The New York Academy of Sciences often has public seminars in the evenings. You could start attending those.

+1

Lots of museums offer seminars, too.

Oh and libraries too.

cheers i will give it a try... although it will be interesting trying to get one of my friends their:)

there even

bd7878 said:
there even

Lol :wink:

Bribery, maybe?

<h2>1. How can I find intelligent and nerdy men in NYC?</h2><p>The best way to find intelligent and nerdy men in NYC is to frequent places where they are likely to hang out, such as bookstores, comic book shops, and science or technology events. You can also try joining online communities or attending meetups related to your interests.</p><h2>2. What qualities should I look for in an intelligent and nerdy man?</h2><p>Intelligence and nerdiness can manifest in many different ways, so it's important to look for qualities that align with your own interests and values. Some common traits of intelligent and nerdy men may include a passion for learning, curiosity, and a strong sense of humor.</p><h2>3. How can I make myself more attractive to intelligent and nerdy men?</h2><p>Be yourself and embrace your own interests and passions. Intelligent and nerdy men are often attracted to individuals who share their enthusiasm for learning and exploring new ideas. Show your intelligence and curiosity through engaging conversations and by being open to new experiences.</p><h2>4. Are there any red flags to watch out for when dating intelligent and nerdy men?</h2><p>As with any relationship, it's important to pay attention to how your potential partner treats you and others. Some red flags to watch out for may include dismissive attitudes towards your interests or a lack of respect for your boundaries. It's also important to communicate openly and make sure you both have a similar level of commitment to the relationship.</p><h2>5. How can I maintain a healthy and fulfilling relationship with an intelligent and nerdy man?</h2><p>Communication and mutual respect are key to any successful relationship. It's important to continue learning and growing together, while also giving each other space to pursue individual interests. Don't be afraid to have open and honest conversations about your needs and expectations in the relationship.</p>

1. How can I find intelligent and nerdy men in NYC?

The best way to find intelligent and nerdy men in NYC is to frequent places where they are likely to hang out, such as bookstores, comic book shops, and science or technology events. You can also try joining online communities or attending meetups related to your interests.

2. What qualities should I look for in an intelligent and nerdy man?

Intelligence and nerdiness can manifest in many different ways, so it's important to look for qualities that align with your own interests and values. Some common traits of intelligent and nerdy men may include a passion for learning, curiosity, and a strong sense of humor.

3. How can I make myself more attractive to intelligent and nerdy men?

Be yourself and embrace your own interests and passions. Intelligent and nerdy men are often attracted to individuals who share their enthusiasm for learning and exploring new ideas. Show your intelligence and curiosity through engaging conversations and by being open to new experiences.

4. Are there any red flags to watch out for when dating intelligent and nerdy men?

As with any relationship, it's important to pay attention to how your potential partner treats you and others. Some red flags to watch out for may include dismissive attitudes towards your interests or a lack of respect for your boundaries. It's also important to communicate openly and make sure you both have a similar level of commitment to the relationship.

5. How can I maintain a healthy and fulfilling relationship with an intelligent and nerdy man?

Communication and mutual respect are key to any successful relationship. It's important to continue learning and growing together, while also giving each other space to pursue individual interests. Don't be afraid to have open and honest conversations about your needs and expectations in the relationship.