Integrating by Parts: Solving for Probability in Sphere of Radius a0

In summary: I know you said that the limits should be 0 and a. But when i substitute those limits i get negative numbers. Is this correct?Thanks again.Yes, the answer should be negative with those limits. You're subtracting the values of the integral at the lower and upper limits, and since the value of the integral is slightly positive, the result is slightly negative.
unknownuser9

Homework Statement

Given that the probability of finding a 1s electron in a region between r and r + dr is:

P = [tex]\frac{4}{a_{0}^{3}}[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex]e[tex]-2r/a0[/tex]dr

work out the probability that an electron would be found within a sphere of radius:

i) a0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It hints that substituting x = r/a0 makes it easier to integrate by parts.

So, substituting and cancelling:

P = 4x2 e-2x dx

Integrating by parts:

P = (1/2)x2e-2x + xe-2x - (1/4)e-2x

And then use 0 and a0 as my limits?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cleaned up your LaTeX.
Tips:
Don't put [ sup] and [ sub] tags inside LaTeX tags.
Use one set of [ tex] and [ /tex] tags for an entire expression.
unknownuser9 said:

Homework Statement

Given that the probability of finding a 1s electron in a region between r and r + dr is:

P = [tex]\frac{4}{a_{0}^{3}}r^2e^{-2r/a_0}dr[/tex]

work out the probability that an electron would be found within a sphere of radius:

i) a0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It hints that substituting x = r/a0 makes it easier to integrate by parts.

So, substituting and cancelling:

P = 4x2 e-2x dx

Integrating by parts:

P = (1/2)x2e-2x + xe-2x - (1/4)e-2x

And then use 0 and a0 as my limits?

Thanks.

Now that I can read the probability expression, I can provide some help. To find the probability of finding a 1s electron in a sphere of radius a0, you're going to need to integrate that probability expression from r = 0 to r = a0.

When you make the substitution x = r/a0, dx = dr/a0. I don't see dx in your integrand (or even an integral at all). You showed the results of integration by parts, but not the work, so unless I duplicate your work, I can't say that your work is correct.

Sorry, i really can't use Latex. I did it in word and this is the best i can do:

Code:
P= ∫▒4/(a_0^3 ) r^2 e^((-2r)/a_0   ) dr
P= ∫▒4/(a_0^3 ) 〖a_0〗^2 r^2 e^(-2x ) a_0 dx
P= ∫▒〖4x〗^2  e^(-2x) dx
P=4∫▒x^2  e^(-2x) dx
P= -1/2 x^2 e^(-2x)+∫▒〖xe^(-2x) 〗 dx
P= -1/2 x^2 e^(-2x)+xe^(-2x) ∫▒1/2  e^(-2x) dx
P= -1/2 x^2 e^(-2x)+xe^(-2x)-1/4  e^(-2x)

So now if i use r = 0 and r = a_0 as my limits i get:

Code:
P= |-1/2 x^2 e^(-2x)+xe^(-2x)-1/4  e^(-2x) |  a_0¦0
P=(-1/2 a_0^2 e^(-2a_0 )+a_0 e^(-2a_0 )-1/4 e^(-2a_0 ) )- (0+0-1/4 e^0)
P=-1/2 a_0^2 e^(-2a_0 )+a_0 e^(-2a_0 )-1/4 e^(-2a_0 )+1/4

Am i close? Thanks.

Ive just realized, I took 4 out as a constant at the beginning. Would i have to mulitply through by 4 now?

unknownuser9 said:
Sorry, i really can't use Latex. I did it in word and this is the best i can do:
It's not that hard to use LaTeX, and it's much more readable that what you have below. For me the limits of integration show up as a rectangular pattern of dots, like this: ▒.
Bring the constants out of the integral.
[tex]\frac{4}{a_0^3}\int_0^{a_0}r^2e^{-2r/a_0}dr[/tex]

To see what I did in LaTeX, click the expression above.

After you make the substitution, use integration by parts twice. After you integrate, undo your substitution. Check your final result by differentiating - you should get back to the original integrand.
unknownuser9 said:
Code:
P= ∫▒4/(a_0^3 ) r^2 e^((-2r)/a_0   ) dr
P= ∫▒4/(a_0^3 ) 〖a_0〗^2 r^2 e^(-2x ) a_0 dx
P= ∫▒〖4x〗^2  e^(-2x) dx
P=4∫▒x^2  e^(-2x) dx
P= -1/2 x^2 e^(-2x)+∫▒〖xe^(-2x) 〗 dx
P= -1/2 x^2 e^(-2x)+xe^(-2x) ∫▒1/2  e^(-2x) dx
P= -1/2 x^2 e^(-2x)+xe^(-2x)-1/4  e^(-2x)

So now if i use r = 0 and r = a_0 as my limits i get:

Code:
P= |-1/2 x^2 e^(-2x)+xe^(-2x)-1/4  e^(-2x) |  a_0¦0
P=(-1/2 a_0^2 e^(-2a_0 )+a_0 e^(-2a_0 )-1/4 e^(-2a_0 ) )- (0+0-1/4 e^0)
P=-1/2 a_0^2 e^(-2a_0 )+a_0 e^(-2a_0 )-1/4 e^(-2a_0 )+1/4

Am i close? Thanks.

Yer I know but its never worked on my computer. Even if I copy and paste exactly what you wrote, It doesn't work.

OK thanks, I will try that.

I have hosted an image of my calculations in word (LaTex still isn't working for me):

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8241/probof1selectron.jpg

Are my workings right?

When I substitute in the limts, I get negative numbers which I am sure is not right.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure you have a sign error.
With the substitution x = r/a (I didn't bother with the subscript on a), I have this integral
[tex]4\int x^2 e^{-2x}dx[/tex]
which evaluates to -2x2e-2x - 2xe-2x - e-2x. I have a minus before the third term, and you have a plus.

Instead of undoing the substitution, you can change the limits of integration. The original limits were values of r, and were 0 and a. Since x = r/a, the new limits are 0 and 1. If you evaluate -2x2e-2x - 2xe-2x - e-2x at 1 and 0, and subtract the two values, you get 1 - 5e-2, which is about .323324, a seemingly reasonable value for a probability.

Yeah, i realized i hadnt evaluated the final integral. When i did i got that result and substituting the limits gave me that answer. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the formula for integrating by parts?

The formula for integrating by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of x and du/dx and dv/dx are their respective derivatives.

2. How do you apply the formula for integrating by parts?

To apply the formula for integrating by parts, you first need to identify which function is u and which is dv. Then, find the derivatives of both functions and plug them into the formula. Finally, integrate the remaining terms and solve for the desired integral.

3. Can integrating by parts be used to solve for probability?

Yes, integrating by parts can be used to solve for probability in certain scenarios, such as when calculating the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range.

4. How is integrating by parts used in the sphere of radius a0?

In the sphere of radius a0, integrating by parts can be used to calculate the probability of a particle being found within a specific distance from the center of the sphere. This is commonly used in quantum mechanics to determine the probability of finding an electron within a certain distance from the nucleus.

5. Are there any limitations to using integrating by parts for solving probability in the sphere of radius a0?

Yes, integrating by parts may not always be applicable in solving for probability in the sphere of radius a0. It is typically used in cases where the probability distribution function is known and can be integrated using the formula. In more complex scenarios, other methods may be necessary.